PDA

View Full Version : Help reading cert please

Just Gillian
17-05-15, 08:20
This is from an Irish marriage cert - the emailed version not the official paper one.

The groom's father's name is Scheftel Rabinovitch. The bride's father's surname is Rubenstein.

Can anyone decipher the bride's father's forenames and the street name in Armagh please.

I have the full copy if that would be helpful.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/macoj24/Rubin/Morris%20Rubin%20Marriage.jpg (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/macoj24/media/Rubin/Morris%20Rubin%20Marriage.jpg.html)

kiterunner
17-05-15, 09:14
The street name looks like Mill St.
Bride's father's given names look like Praat Hays but it is probably nothing like that really!

Just Gillian
17-05-15, 09:54
Thanks Kate. I can see Mill St, now you've said it! I'll have a look at the 1901 to see if there were many Jewish families still there then - the cert was 1888.

This was prompted by a response I've just received to a message I sent on Ancestry last July, before we actually had this marriage cert. The tree owner has the bride's father as Isaac M Rubin but seems to have found her first as a widow by 1910 in the US, and not with her alleged father.

I thought the second name could have been Mayer but couldn't make the first one into Isaac.

This is a friend's tree and the name changing of her Russian Jewish lot has proved to be a nightmare. So many of those with names starting R*b became Rubins, including the Rabinowitzes and Rubinsteins above. Israels became Isaac, Moses became Morris or Myer, lots ended up as Dollies even though their real names bore no resemblance, etc etc. That is before the confusion of registrars etc being very creative in their spelling of "foreign" names, both in Ireland and the US.

kiterunner
17-05-15, 11:00
Now you say Isaac Mayer, it could well be that.

Just Gillian
17-05-15, 11:44
Thanks Kate. This is my first experience of the email versions of the Irish certs and I find the "Not an Official Copy" watermark is a real nuisance when it comes to deciphering.

Olde Crone
17-05-15, 17:41
JG

Did the marriage take place in synagogue or in the Register Office?

OC

Just Gillian
17-05-15, 19:49
It was in a synagogue OC.

Olde Crone
17-05-15, 20:09
JG

If you can get hold of the marriage entry in the synagogue records it will tell you lots more - but I'm sure you already know that and tracing the synagogue records can be difficult anyway.

OC

Just Gillian
17-05-15, 20:22
Thanks OC. No, I didn't know that. I'll pass that info on to my friend for her to pursue.

Most of the families concerned seem to have stayed very briefly in Ireland before moving on to the US, so the immigration records, giving names, addresses and relationships for their destination have been a goldmine. The Jewish newspaper coverage for most of the US states concerned has also been a treasure trove with detailed wedding and death announcements.