PDA

View Full Version : Rev Dr Taylor

KiwiChris
06-12-09, 03:58
From Feb 1884 to May 1885 there was a Rev Dr Taylor filling a locum post at the Cathedral in Nelson New Zealand.
My problem is that he and his wife are only ever referred to as Rev Dr and Mrs Taylor, and for the short time they were here, he got plenty of publicity!
From clues in all the reports I can find on Paperspast, he was elderly, C of E, well travelled (he gave a lot of lectures about his travels), evangelical, had been a teacher for almost 50 years and had been headmaster of one of the UK's largest Grammar schools.

I am pretty sure he was Rev Dr James Taylor b c1810 Dublin Ireland and from 1847 to 1875 Headmaster of Wakefield Grammar, West Yorkshire.

But I can't find any evidence aside from the fact that of all the Dr Taylor's in Crockfords in 1868 and 1885 he is by far the best fit.

Can anyone find any evidence that he is my man? I have tried everything I can think of.

Merry
06-12-09, 09:09
Just in case you don't have access to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and you have seen lots of Google restricted items come up on your searches, there is no article for this James Taylor! From the article about his son, Henry Martyn, I learned James' wife's name was Eliza Johnson.

Have you been able to find a date of death for James? I found a ref to May 1894, but that was on the google search list and I can't actually access properly to see what the date related to. I have a feeling it may be no connection. Pity he is 'visiting' on the 1891 census, as if he had been 'at home' it might have been easier to make a stab at his death registration. (and thereby have a better chance of finding an obit)

scuda
06-12-09, 09:15
Passenger lists??

scuda

KiwiChris
06-12-09, 17:42
Thanks for the name for Eliza, Merry.

I have trawled through passenger lists and the only one I found which might be him referred to Rev Dr and Mrs.

Merry
06-12-09, 19:47
Had you come across this bit? :)

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=NEM18840405.2.6&l=mi&e=-------10--1----0-all

KiwiChris
06-12-09, 20:22
NO! And I thought I had read every single hit on papers past! How did I miss that?????:o

Merry
06-12-09, 21:00
Actually it's wierd, because I'm sure I used the same search criteria this morning as this evening and I only saw that bit tonight.....;(

KiwiChris
06-12-09, 22:45
Isn't it funny how you get that gut feeling that you have the right person, and isn't it good when you get the proof! :D

That happens so often with my clergy research, even when there are a few possibles, one person seems the right fit!

Thanks Merry, we have him now, but as they were both b Dublin and she was a Johnson, I doubt I will get any further back!

Still, he was only here a few months and was almost missed completely, so he is lucky to be in the directory at all!