PDA

View Full Version : Going slowly mad?

Merry
03-05-15, 18:00
I've written three very long opening posts and each time eventually answered my own question! I'm not writing the whole long involved story again, so you will have to ask if you want to know something!!

Can anyone see what became of John Askew Sage, bap at St James, Bath, Somerset 31 Jan 1802?

This isn't him:

Deaths Mar 1845
SAGE John Eskew Newport Mon 26 93

(I know who this 1845 death belongs to)

kiterunner
03-05-15, 18:54
I can't find anything, sorry.

Merry
04-05-15, 07:58
Thanks for looking, Kate.

I'm going to have to give up on this one.

I have two brothers on my tree each giving their son, John Sage, the middle name Askew, for no apparent reason.

Then there's this James Sage giving his son John the same middle name, but he has a reason as his wife is Caroline (H)askew. They get around a bit - she's born in Bath, they marry in Exeter, son b Bath, dau possibly b Maidstone, Kent and then back to Cameley in Somerset for the deaths of the dau and Caroline and possibly the remarriage of James.

There's a slim chance the James who married Caroline Haskew was b 1780ish in Bedminster, but if he belongs to my tree I need to know the name of his parents, but Bedminster stuff has a large untranscribed gap in the records! Plus if I had that bap, I still wouldn't know it's the right James. Plus why would two brothers around a generation younger than the James who married Caroline name their sons after a married-in woman who died young about 20/30 years before their sons were born? It makes no sense, and yet I keep banging my head against the problem (that's because I'm worried I've gone wrong somewhere and the Askew name is somewhere on my direct line!).

marquette
04-05-15, 10:45
Merry

When I started on my Dawson line, I wondered about their distinctive middle names - Whitmore, Christie, Punnit, and Hammett. A lot of investigation proved they were names connected to the family.

Joseph Hammett Dawson (b1808) was named for his second oldest sister Mary Ann's husband, Henry Hammett Sturmy (married 1800).

Herbert Whitmore Dawson (1874) and George Whitmore Christie (1853) were named for Joseph George Dawson's wife Emma Whitmore. JG was Herbert's uncle and GWC great uncle think.

William Christie married Sarah Susannah Dawson in 1811 - she is the great-aunt of George Christie Dawson (b1883). They had a son John Dawson Christie.

A lot of the names were separated by quite a long time frame and some were given in London, but others were born in New South Wales and Tasmania.

In the Collis line, several sons were given the middle name of BRENT. There is no blood connection - Thomas BRENT just happened to be George Collis's friend and mentor, who never married or had any children. So the children of George used the Brent name to acknowledge him.

So there may be connection with your Askew name, but it may be more tenuous than you think.

Diane

Merry
04-05-15, 12:13
That's what I thought about these Sages at first Diane. When I was James Sage marrying in Exeter I assumed he was nothing to do with mine from North Somerset, but then when I realised he had come to live in the very village mine were from I had to think again!

Kit
07-05-15, 03:11
Have you got all grandmothers and great grandmothers maiden names Merry?

OH's 3g uncle had an unusual middle name. It's taken me years to find anything that explained where that came from, maternal grandmother's maiden name, from a partial tree published in a book a century ago. I still have not found the marriage though to confirm it.