PDA

View Full Version : Wills on Essex Ancestors

Chris in Sussex
01-05-15, 13:43
I have just had an email

'Essex Ancestors, our online subscription service which allows users to view digital images of historic parish registers and wills, has undergone its latest major update.

Our collections include about 70,000 original wills which date from the 1400s to 1858 – images of all of which are now available on Essex Ancestors.

Where wills exist, they can be of great help in establishing family connections and for finding out about people’s property and belongings. As we have indexed the testators’ occupations and their places of residence as well as their names these images are also a goldmine for social and local history.

This is the third and final batch of the original wills that we have uploaded to Essex Ancestors and represents many months of work by our digitisers, conservators and archivists.'

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/EssexAncestors.aspx

Happy hunting!

Chris

kiterunner
01-05-15, 14:55
Brilliant news! Thanks, Chris!

Off to look right away!

Kit
07-05-15, 03:20
ooh indecisive here. I found so much for OH there but I'm not sure they had anything worth leaving a will for.

Should I or should I not spend the money? :confused:

kiterunner
07-05-15, 08:07
Sorry, I don't understand, Toni - are you saying that you have found lots of wills for OH's tree on there and you want to know if it would be worth paying to view them, or that you found lots of PR's when you went on there before so there might be wills? If it is the latter, you can search for free to see whether there are any wills and you only have to pay if you want to view them.

Kit
08-05-15, 12:03
Sorry Kate. I meant that previously I found a lot of OH's relatives.

I have had a quick look at the website and it doesn't look like there are any wills, not for the major lines anyway.

HarrysMum
10-05-15, 09:22
I wish I could head or tail of my Essex lot. I have the bare facts on a few, but no 'flesh' for their bones.....

ElizabethHerts
02-08-15, 15:49
I'm trying to find this will found on Ancestry:

Name: Robert Batell
Place: Essex
Date: 1556-1558
Volume: 10
Page: 131
Bundle: 1405

Can anyone help, please?

kiterunner
02-08-15, 18:27
I think this is it on TNA, Elizabeth, but it isn't a will (or at least, it isn't his will) so wouldn't be on Essex Ancestors:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7503578

ElizabethHerts
02-08-15, 19:14
Kate, thanks for that. I suddenly realised it said "Chancery" so not a will.
I have had a good morning with this family - will report more when I have time.