PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry v FMP

HarrysMum
30-04-15, 11:29
Can anyone tell me what Ancestry has that FMP World hasn't, please.

I didn't renew my Ancestry and they've offered me 25% off, but I have the very cheap FMP World already. I know I could look it all up, but I am tired and bone lazy.

Shona
30-04-15, 12:09
FMP has pre-WW1 military records, which I find really useful. It also a good range of newspapers.

kiterunner
30-04-15, 13:10
Ancestry has various parish registers that FMP doesn't (and vice versa, of course): London, Lancashire (plus Manchester and Liverpool), Dorset, West Yorkshire, Warwickshire (plus Birmingham), Surrey, Gloucestershire (not including Bristol), and Northamptonshire (not complete yet).

Ancestry has the images of the PCC wills (well, nearly all of them, there are a few missing). Also London wills, Gloucestershire wills, and Dorset wills. And the National Probate Calendar, but you can view that free on the government probate site now, though it's not fully searchable on there.

Also ancestry has the passenger lists for people arriving in the UK - well, I don't think that FMP has them. I was searching for them on there the other day and couldn't see them.

I think ancestry has more Australian BMD indexes and electoral registers than FMP, and the ancestry world sub covers more countries than FMP does.

Edit - oh, and ancestry has quite a lot of criminal registers and the "lunatic" records.

HarrysMum
30-04-15, 19:04
Thank you both for that.
I think I will wait until I can afford another sub to The Genealogist. I don't really need many of those extra Ancestry records and The Genealogist transcriptions are much better for census records. They have had the wills and non conformist records for years as well.

tenterfieldjulie
01-05-15, 10:05
I have FMP World and have found quite a lot, but I haven't used it for awhile. I know there were some records that I couldn't find on Ancestry and I could also view both the transcript and the original record.

Kit
01-05-15, 11:55
I have the FMP world sub as it is cheap and an ancestry sub. They do offer different things although FMP is starting to get some ancestry records.

FMP have better transcriptions although I do prefer ancestry for searching.

As for immigration I think one has leaving England and the other has arriving England.

kiterunner
01-05-15, 12:31
As for immigration I think one has leaving England and the other has arriving England.

That used to be the case, but ancestry has both now.

HarrysMum
03-05-15, 01:44
Does Ancestry have the original images for the non-con records? Also does it have the Dr Williams Library certificates?

I love getting all those early birth certificates with the witness signatures.

Merry
03-05-15, 07:27
Yes and Yes, Libby.

Ancestry's image collection, "England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970" includes the following:

General Register Office: Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths surrendered to the Non-parochial Registers Commissions of 1837 and 1857. Records of the General Register Office, Government Social Survey Department, and Office of Population Censuses and Surveys, Registrar General (RG) 4. The National Archives, Kew, England.

General Register Office: Birth Certificates from the Presbyterian, Independent and Baptist Registry and from the Wesleyan Methodist Metropolitan Registry. Digitized images. Records of the General Register Office, Government Social Survey Department, and Office of Population Censuses and Surveys, Registrar General (RG) 5. The National Archives, Kew, England.

General Register Office: Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths surrendered to the Non Parochial Registers Commission of 1857, and other registers and church records in the Protectorates of Africa and Asia. Records of the General Register Office, Government Social Survey Department, and Office of Population Censuses and Surveys, Registrar General (RG) 8. The National Archives, Kew, England.

The Dr Williams Registers are part of RG4. Apparently they are not actually called that officially; the proper title is "The General Register of Protestant Dissenters" :)

HarrysMum
03-05-15, 10:21
Thanks Merry.

tenterfieldjulie
03-05-15, 10:48
Thanks Merry.