PDA

View Full Version : "The Times" Newspaper

tenterfieldjulie
29-04-15, 10:27
I have two references for the London Times - 11 May 1953 and 24 May 1955 from Arthur Roland Selby's entry in the Dictionary of Biography, which I think are references to his membership of political parties in Natal. I am wondering how to find this.

The following probably explains better what I am looking for

"In February 1946 Selby retired and moved to South Africa and took up citrus farming at Muden, Natal. His dreams of a quiet life were disrupted by the election (1948) of a Nationalist government intent on making South Africa a republic.

Selby became a prominent member of a militant opposition group, the Torch Commando. In 1953 he helped to found the Union Federal Party which failed to win any seats at provincial council elections. "

I think this what this reference is about - Times (London), 11 May 1953

"Never one to change direction, Selby clung to the imperial ideal. He resigned from the U.F.P. in 1955 to devote his efforts to the Anti-Republican League." and I think this is the other - Times (London), 24 May 1955

but how do I find them. Thanks. Julie

Merry
29-04-15, 12:12
I could email them to you, if you pm me your email addy :)

tenterfieldjulie
29-04-15, 23:17
Many thanks Merry you are a pet. Julie

tenterfieldjulie
01-05-15, 11:56
British Prime Minister Winston Churchill receives gifts for his ...

Video for churchill's 69th birthday? 0:47

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9FJiAec5T4

So thrilled to find this .. not just an image of Uncle Arthur but moving too .. ooh and Winston Churchill's 69th Birthday lol:d

Oh Major General Selby (Uncle Arthur) is the 6ft 3 inch man beside Churchill (he carried an injury from Gallipoli in his right elbow and became ambidextrous .. always carried something in his right arm I think to cover his disability)

Kit
01-05-15, 12:01
Julie join the state library, or national library, and you can use their online databases and access the times for free, at home.

tenterfieldjulie
01-05-15, 12:15
I had forgotten that Kit. I am a member of the State Library.
A kind friend sent me the images and they are extremely important to his story so very chuffed.
I will however have a look at the times for other references when I have time .... not a lot at the moment. Well you do have to sleep some time lol Julie