PDA

View Full Version : Selby Frederick George - Australia

tenterfieldjulie
20-04-15, 11:29
Q1. Does He Belong, Or Not, to the family of John Selby and Elizabeth Vaughan?

John Selby Married Elizabeth Vaughan 1881 Bega, NSW

- Children 3 or 4?

A brief summary of what I have cobbled together of the family.

Frederick George Born 1884 Sydney, NSW; (parents John and Elizabeth Selby).
Married Bridget “Agnes” Nash 2/8/1918 Sacred Heart Church, Highgate Hill, Perth, WA;
(In a write up on their marriage, the only family information it gives is that it says her brother J. Nash gave Agnes away. Mr. J.O. Hughes best man not sure if connected).
Died 21 October 1955 Perth, WA - aged 71. Parents John and Elizabeth).

(1 child – daughter Ruth Lilian, born 16/6/1919 – grad BSc 1939, a biochemist – who married 1947 in Perth to Donald John Simper, analytical chemist,
Ruth died 2008 – 1 daughter, possibly still living)

I found in the Electoral Rolls of WA - Frederick George Selby: 1910 – 16 Newcastle St., East Perth – reader; 1912-1915 – 76 Leeder St. Leederville – newspaper employee; 1916-1919 – Leederville Hotel, Leederville – newspaper employee; 1925 – Katanning, Royal Exchange Hotel – licensed victualler With Agnes hd; 1931-37 – York – Newsagent; 1943-54 – Cottesloe – confectioner; 1954 – Victoria Park – retired.
In the newspapers I found him - August 1916 – On Sunday the 6th at the Leederville Hotel, Perth, Western Australia - a send off for four soldiers – one being Edward Jas. Fox – “A charge of being on licensed premises, not being a bona-fide traveller, lodger, or inmate, was preferred against Fox”. AND “Frederick Selby, newspaper employee, and secretary of the West Perth Football Club, said that he was a boarder at the hotel. On Sunday morning he assisted the licensee to take stock. Some of the players and supporters met at the hotel late in the morning and had an informal meeting in the yard.”

(There was another family a little earlier in Sydney NSW, the mother was consistently called Eliza. John Selby Married Eliza Sullivan 1862 Sydney, NSW - Children Born Sydney, NSW: Arthur William 1866, Horace A 1868, Henry C 1870, Horace E 1872, George Armstrong 1874 and Ada 1878 (Balmain).

The proved family of John Selby and Elizabeth Vaughan (married 1881.)
Samuel Vaughan born 15/6/1887 Newtown, Sydney, NSW - Married Edith E.L. Sherlock 24/4/1916 St. George’s Cathedral, Perth, WA, died 12/10/17 Passchendaele, Belgium. No children.

Edith Louise born 7/3/1889 Newtown, Sydney, NSW Married Thomas Evan Jones 9/11/1920 Baptist Church, Leederville, Perth, WA, died 8/11/1873 Perth, WA, age 84. (2 children born Perth: daughter born 13/1/1922, son born 15/9/1923)

Arthur Roland born 7/11/1893 Armidale, NSW, Married Susannah Gertrude Bryant 24/2/1915 Garrison Church, Cairo, died 1/9/1966 Natal, South Africa. (1 child – adopted daughter born 1/7/1930 Perth, WA)

Some have put Frederick on trees belonging to John and Elizabeth (Vaughan,) but they have also had Frederick and Edith marrying the wrong people in NSW.

In a memorial notice of Samuel in 1918, he is referred to as the oldest son of John and Elizabeth; and neither in John’s death notice in 1921, or Elizabeth in 1934, is there any mention of Frederick.

It simply may be that Frederick is not their son, or the fact that John disowned him.

John was a strict Baptist preacher, who fought hard for the cause of abstinence from alcohol. Frederick not only lived in a hotel, he was also licensee of a hotel at Katanning for a while.

Frederick also married at and was a member of the Roman Catholic faith. I do not really think that was a factor, because John Selby became the next of kin for an Irishman, Edward Hughes, on his military enlistment papers and Edward was RC.
Elizabeth’s parents, the Vaughan’s were buried as RC. Her mother being Mary Lally, also Irish.

I think that I am going to have to buy certificate of marriage of John Selby and Elizabeth Vaughan and also birth certificates of Frederick and Arthur, and hope that I can conclusively prove who is who. In the meantime, can anyone see some information relevant information on Frederick George Selby that these tired eyes of mine are missing?

Thanks. Julie

kiterunner
20-04-15, 12:40
The NAA catalogue has a file listed for Frederick George Selby, Applications to enlist in the Australian Imperial Force. There is a button to click to request a copy; it doesn't seem to have been digitised.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=9717281

tenterfieldjulie
20-04-15, 23:50
Thanks Kate. It is a shame that is hasn't been digitised but as he appears to have been classed as medically unfit it probably would be better to spend my money on his birth registration. I found a medically unfit for a G Selby in Perth newspaper on Trove in 1916 and so I think that would be him.

Mary from Italy
21-04-15, 00:59
In case you haven't seen it, there's a notice in Trove in 1918 in memory of Samuel, "Inserted by his father, mother, brother and sister", which suggests that he only had one brother:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/27492522?searchTerm=%22samuel%20vaughan%20selby%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc

tenterfieldjulie
21-04-15, 08:25
The family definitely didn't acknowledge him Mary. Quite a coincidence that they were all born in NSW after John and Elizabeth married, Frederick first, then Sam, then Edith all in Sydney and then Arthur in Armidale, before they all ended up in the same area of Perth. All parents named John and Elizabeth. From the Perth newspapers in 1914-1916 both John and Elizabeth were Baptists with John leading the preaching at Perth services, they were both prominent advocates of the Temperance League. Elizabeth visiting the Women's prison and collecting pleges of abstinence. John was Mayor of Leederville and then on the Perth City Council. He played a large public role in civil matters. If Frederick George was his son. Living at a hotel and then being a publican would have been a matter of shame. I have looked and looked at the papers to see if I can find them at public functions together, or at each other's weddings, but if they were, they weren't listed.
They were all good people but with very different life styles. I must admit I hope that Frederick wasn't their son. After Sam died and then Arthur living abroad, it would have been more than sad if they were always alienated. They certainly would have known the same people. Especially in the early days when Frederick worked for the newspapers.

tenterfieldjulie
21-04-15, 12:03
I've paid for a digitised copy of his Army Application .. I hope that it gives his next of kin as someone other than the local hotel owner.. I'm still going to buy the birth certificate but this someone needs to be recorded as part of the WA boys story.

Mary from Italy .. There are 2 Frederick George Selby's ..