PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I find who lives at an address

JBee
20-04-15, 11:13
on findmypast?

I have got a John Barr residing at No 6 Stanners St, Greenock in the 1851 census who could be the brother of my Daniel Barr who has a daughter in 1863 at No 8 Stanners St.

John isn't there in the 1861 census as findmypast doesn't come up with anyone of that name. It does however come up with 386 people living at Stanners St but when I put in either no 6 or no 8 with no name nothing appears.

What am I doing wrong?

kiterunner
20-04-15, 12:24
Nos 6 and 8 don't come up on ancestry either, so maybe they were empty? Or the page has been lost?

JBee
20-04-15, 12:39
Thanks Kite

How do you find the address on ancestry?

I've got an ancestry sub but only get the transcription so can't get the page before or after like I do for English censuses.

kiterunner
20-04-15, 12:51
I would say, simple as scrolling down to the "Address" box and type in the beginning of the address (I wouldn't bother typing St or Street as it might not match what they have transcribed). But I don't know whether your search settings are stopping you from seeing the Address box? You may need to click "Show Advanced". Also if you were searching the whole of the UK census rather than just Scotland, you wouldn't get that box.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1080

JBee
20-04-15, 13:00
Thanks Kite - didn't know you could do that with ancestry.

Have got to go out but will have a go when I get back.

Thanks

Uncle John
21-04-15, 18:43
It's also possible that the Ancestry transcription of the Scottish census is a bit shaky. The ScotlandsPeople transcription (and images) are much better.

kiterunner
21-04-15, 19:04
But you can't search the census by address on Scotland's People, can you, UJ?

JBee
22-04-15, 09:27
Well I've trawled the 1861 census - taking the names from fmp and then looking them up on ancestry.

I cannot find any residents for 4,6,8,10,12,14 or 16 Stanner(s) St, Greenock East so perhaps it was lost or maybe in a different enumerators list.

No 8 was given as the place of birth in 1863.

I'm sure I've seen previously on fmp where there was a list of all the addresses and you could click the number you wanted or has that changed?

Uncle John
22-04-15, 10:42
But you can't search the census by address on Scotland's People, can you, UJ?

True, but so far I haven't had to. It's just that some of the Ancestry transcriptions are so awful.