PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate abode on parish registers

Kit
16-04-15, 06:12
I received my username and password for the Sussex Family History Group this morning and have been having a look around.

I'm finding baptisms for some children I have previously found on the census. There are 2 families with the same parents names at one point.

The other family live in an area called Slut's Hole. :eek::rolleyes:

It's OH's family so I can't decide if I'm glad or not that it doesn't belong in the family.

Merry
16-04-15, 06:24
lol! I don't think you should try googling that!! :rolleyes:

Shona
16-04-15, 06:34

:d:d:d

vita
16-04-15, 11:36
OMG - imagine having to give that as your address! So tempted to Google it ......

Please tell me the family's surname was something suitably pun - worthy.

Kit
16-04-15, 12:45
I certainly didn't Merry. :d

maggie_4_7
16-04-15, 13:16

Errr good advice :D

Jill
16-04-15, 15:46
Glad to hear you've got access to the records now Kit.

When I worked for Mid Sussex District Council in the 1980s one of the roads locally was still in the rates ledger as Slut's Lane though it is usually now known as Snowdrop Lane!

Kit
17-04-15, 07:11
oh Jill, it is awful a name like that survived so long. I'm glad the road changed it's name eventually.

I think Slut's Hole had a name change or the family moved. I can't remember the name but they ended up at a place called (a female name) Hole. So some improvement. :rolleyes:

Slut does have a bad meaning in England as well as Australia?

... and yes I have access to the Sussex records now. OH now has a 5g grandfather Thomas and a surnameless 5g grandmother Lucy. :):)

Nell
17-04-15, 08:53
Not as disgraceful, but my ancestors once had the very undesirable address of "Old Burying Ground"!

Mary from Italy
17-04-15, 10:15
There's still a road in Leicester called "Holy Bones". Not all that far from where Richard III was found, funnily enough.

Oakum Picker
17-04-15, 14:27
Some of my ancestors lived at or 'on' Cold Dunghill, Ipswich.

Jill
17-04-15, 15:30
Slut does have a bad meaning in England as well as Australia?

Yes!

We also have a lot of Bottoms in Sussex on the south downs (Breaky Bottom, Bible Bottom, Fairmile Bottom) while some of my Lancashire ancestors lived at Batty Hole, Pig Hole and Honey Hole...

Olde Crone
17-04-15, 15:38
....and I thought my lot were embarrassing with the address Dog Kennels.

OC

Shona
17-04-15, 16:06
...and there's a Twatt in Orkney.

vita
17-04-15, 16:07
...and there's a Twatt in Orkney.

Only one?

Olde Crone
17-04-15, 16:21
One of my ancestors is called Sidebottom.

OC

Merry
17-04-15, 17:20
One of my ancestors is called Sidebottom.

OC

Don't you mean Sid-eee-bo-toom?

Olde Crone
17-04-15, 17:45
Yes Merry, I'm sure they pronounced it

Siddy Boe Tom.

OC

Nell
18-04-15, 07:18
A place in Cumbria is called Great Cockup.

And a friend of mine once called someone "Mrs Bastard" (because that's what it said on her library card) only to be corrected "It's pronounced Basstud"!

Kit
18-04-15, 07:48
To think I get upset when people who should know better can't spell my name correctly.

anne fraser
18-04-15, 09:29
My mother used to tell the story that when she was teaching she heared that a new teacher had been appointed for the next year, Miss Sidebottom. She thought it was an unsuitable name for a primary teacher but told her class that their new teacher was Miss Side bottom and that they were to laugh about it now so they would not laugh when they met her.

When she came she introduced herself as Miss Sideebothom and blamed my mum for the parents and children calling her Side Bottom.

Margaret in Burton
18-04-15, 11:20
A place in Cumbria is called Great Cockup.

And a friend of mine once called someone "Mrs Bastard" (because that's what it said on her library card) only to be corrected "It's pronounced Basstud"!

Sounds rather like Hyacinth Bucket insisting her name was pronounced Bouquet.

Anstey Nomad
23-04-15, 20:03
My Uncle John's family started out in Throttlegoose Lane.

I rather like that.

Glen TK
25-04-15, 11:32
There's a place near Bolton called Nob End

Jill
27-04-15, 08:27
I have just corrected the 1911 transcript for what Ancestry thinks is Our Lady's Privy.

It is of course, Our Lady's Priory.

There are a lot of Belgian nuns there with mistranscribed birthplaces (Bruges, Ireland; Brussels, Scotland) and several "coy sisters" instead of lay sisters. I feel a morning's work coming on.

JessBow
28-04-15, 20:52
We have a place called soldiers bottom.

Near where we used to live there is a village called Nobottle

I now live near Winkwell, which is quite sweet

Just up over the hill is Piccotts ( pronounced 'Pickets') End