PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham/Warwickshire wills?

ElizabethHerts
28-03-15, 17:58
Where would I find pre-1858 wills for people dying in Birmingham or Warwickshire (and possibly Worcestershire)?

kiterunner
28-03-15, 18:25
According to the Warwickshire County Record Office website, "Most wills made by Warwickshire people were proved at the Dioceses of Worcester or Lichfield and will be found either at Worcestershire Record Office or Lichfield Record Office... The Record Office holds some wills, mostly copies, and also original wills for five small parishes around Temple Balsall. These have been indexed."

ElizabethHerts
28-03-15, 18:33
Thanks, Kate. I'm very wooly for some parts of the country. It's far too complicated!

Margaret in Burton
28-03-15, 20:56
I was told a couple of weeks ago whilst in Burton Local Studies Library that Lichfield Record Office is in danger of closing. I hope not, I still haven't managed to get there.

Durham Lady
29-03-15, 16:18
Elizabeth if you want me to go to Worcester Records Office to look let me know. Not sure when it could be as like you I'll be child minding in the school holidays from tomorrow.

Mary from Italy
29-03-15, 16:35
The Lichfield Record office has put part of its wills index online (1640-1760):

http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/StartPage.aspx?Mode=Details&Index=C

Mary from Italy
29-03-15, 16:36
I was told a couple of weeks ago whilst in Burton Local Studies Library that Lichfield Record Office is in danger of closing.

Good heavens, I hope not. A large part of my tree's in Lichfield, and although I've been to the RO a couple of times, I still have loads more to research there.
Will it merge with Stafford, do you think?

ElizabethHerts
29-03-15, 16:51
Elizabeth if you want me to go to Worcester Records Office to look let me know. Not sure when it could be as like you I'll be child minding in the school holidays from tomorrow.

Daphne, thanks for the offer. So far I really only have one thing I'd like looking at. I'd love a print-off of the marriage of Charles Lamb and Sarah Chambers on 11th March 1816 at St John the Baptist, Halesowen. However, I don't know if either of them lived there for any length of time. Perhaps Charles did his apprenticeship there.

Please don't go specially. If you happen to be there the print-off of the PR would be great.

ElizabethHerts
29-03-15, 16:52
The Lichfield Record office has put part of its wills index online (1640-1760):

http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/StartPage.aspx?Mode=Details&Index=C

Thanks, Mary.

Margaret in Burton
29-03-15, 17:22
Good heavens, I hope not. A large part of my tree's in Lichfield, and although I've been to the RO a couple of times, I still have loads more to research there.
Will it merge with Stafford, do you think?

I would imagine Mary, that in the event of Lichfield closing then all their holdings will be sent to Stafford.

I don't know for certain it is closing but it seems it's certainly a possibility. I hope not, as I don't drive and can get to Lichfield on the bus. Stafford would take an age with many changes. Lichfield is straight through.

Durham Lady
29-03-15, 21:30
Elizabeth, I've checked the PR's Worcester hold and they have St Mary and St John's Church from Halesowen, nothing to say there's a St John the Baptist in Halesowen but Hagley have St John the Baptist. Both towns are quite close.
I'll pop into town as soon as I am able to have a look for you.

This should take you to the page at The Hive to download a PDF of what's available if you need to check the records they hold. Click on Parish Registers on Microfilm
http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/site/scripts/google_results.php?q=Parish+Records

ElizabethHerts
31-03-15, 07:28
Thanks, Daphne.

I've checked the marriage and it should be the Parish Church, Halesowen.

I don't know what denomination the church is. This is what the Library and History Centre of Worcestershire said.

Mary from Italy
31-03-15, 10:22
A parish church is always C of E, isn't it?

ElizabethHerts
31-03-15, 11:11
A parish church is always C of E, isn't it?
Sorry, I meant its name! I'm somewhat distracted here with a lively 4 year old running around.

ElizabethHerts
31-03-15, 11:40
I should have also said that OH's mother died this morning. She was 98 in January. She collapsed this morning and the home she was in phoned to say she was going to be sent to hospital, but she died before that was possible.

She has only been ill the past few months, so she did very well. She hasn't been able to join in any conversations since Christmas. RIP.

Durham Lady
31-03-15, 12:01
Oh how sad. My condolences to R, you and all your family Elizabeth. xxx

ElizabethHerts
31-03-15, 12:09
Thanks, Daphne. It's never easy, no matter how old they are. One of our daughters is particularly upset. She has left work (in London) and is heading up to see us.

Kit
03-04-15, 10:24
I've just seen this Elizabeth. So sorry for your loss. xxx

ElizabethHerts
03-04-15, 10:24
I've just seen this Elizabeth. So sorry for your loss. xxx

Thanks, Toni.