PDA

View Full Version : (51) Edmund Awcock, Cyclist Bn Royal Sussex Regiment & Able Seaman R/3313 63rd RN Di

Jill
23-03-15, 07:04
51st of the St Wilfrid's School, Haywards Heath Old Boys to lose his life in the Great War.

Emdund was born 22 Aug 1892 in Haywards Heath, only child of Edmund and Emily Awcock, Edmund his father was a gardener.

In 1901 they lived in New England Road, next door to Frank Downer who also died in WW1.

When Edmund joined the army he was a "usefulman" working for Mr Denman in Cuckfield who repaired carriages and motor cars. Edmund was was 5’ 2” when he enlisted on 4th October 1914 aged 22 and served in the 6th battalion (Cyclist) of the Royal Sussex Regiment before transferring to the RNVR on 17 Jun 1917.

On 12th September 1917 he faced a Court Martial for accidentally shooting a sailor in the left ankle whilst cleaning his rifle for which he had 25 days Field Punishment No 1 which involved being handcuffed or shackled to an immovable object for up to two hours a day.

Edmund was killed on 2 Nov 1917 near Ypres. He is one of the missing and has no known grave. The following was printed in the Sussex Agricultural Express:

DEATH OF PRIVATE EDMUND AWCOCK
Mr & Mrs Awcock, of 2, Grove Cottages, New England Road, have been notified of the death, in action, of their only son, Private Edmund Awcock, RN Division. In a letter to the parents the officer commanding deceased’s Company wrote:- “I deeply regret the death of your son. He was in my Company and was one of the best men I had. He was killed by a shell on the night of November 1st and death was instantaneous. I am sure you need be proud of your son as well as myself. He did his best for his King and country and will always be one of those who will never be forgotten.” Before joining up he worked at Mr Denman’s, Cuckfield.

Merry
23-03-15, 07:12
Jill, I am impressed at how so many of the people you have posted about have a newspaper article written about them. Do you think the local paper made a special effort to recognise their sacrifice?

Jill
23-03-15, 16:52
Well Merry, the local paper, the Mid Sussex Times printed a weekly listing of everyone who had joined up in any capacity, and many families were passing on details to them of news received in letters about their family members, both the living and the dead. I've no idea if this was a local or a national phenomenon.

They are currently printing reproductions of pages from 1915 though they are difficult to read as it was a broadsheet so are much reduced in size in the modern paper.

My earliest research meant trawling through microfilm at Burgess Hill library, but they have now digitised the war years, which has made things simpler. The Sussex Agricultural Express entries came from the British Libraries newspaper site, the paper was based in Lewes but included some Haywards Heath news.