PDA

View Full Version : Deregulation Bill

Phoenix
18-03-15, 19:46
Someone has just tweeted that the Deregulation Bill has been passed, so we are on the way to uncertified bmd info.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2014-2015/0058/15058.pdf

Can anyone tell me which section covers it? (Or have they got the name of the bill wrong?)

kiterunner
18-03-15, 21:58
Chris Paton's blog says it is Lords amendments 47 and 48. I'm not sure whether those are in the version that your link goes to.

http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2015-03-12T19:08:00Z&max-results=10

Kit
18-03-15, 23:44
That's wonderful. Will it only be GRO certs or local registry offices too?

I try to buy from the local office when I can.

kiterunner
19-03-15, 06:54
It's only making it possible for them to bring in a new system, Toni, not actually saying that they will.

Phoenix
19-03-15, 08:47
Okay, so it was amendment 33 on 5th February, but is now amendment 47 - 48.

Yes, you are right, I have got the committee amendments, rather than the Lords amendments.

Olde Crone
19-03-15, 09:52
Kit

It will almost certainly apply only to GRO certs as local Register Offices are funded by local government and I think it is extremely unlikely that each local RO would have the time/money/inclination to set up a website to do this.

Reflecting on this amendment though....how suddenly and surprisingly things change! All the effort which has previously gone into this rsulted in nothing. Then overnight - bam!

I wonder who will tender for the job? (Someone will! There's a fortune to be made here)

OC

Phoenix
19-03-15, 12:15
Logically, it would be FMP as why would Ancestry kill the golden goose? Unless Siemens want to come back in?

kiterunner
19-03-15, 12:31
Logically, it would be FMP as why would Ancestry kill the golden goose?

Sorry, I don't get what you mean, Phoenix? Can you explain, please?

Phoenix
19-03-15, 14:04
If Ancestry are offering certificates at a little more than 9.50, would they be interested in supporting access to cheaper information?

NB, it looks as if there has to be a special Statutory Instrument, which could then be annulled, and the information does not have to be ALL the information, so I might yet go and buy all those certs I needed ten years ago, when DoVE flew into view.

kiterunner
19-03-15, 14:14
If Ancestry are offering certificates at a little more than 9.50, would they be interested in supporting access to cheaper information?

Well, they already give access to images of marriage certificates from parish registers in various counties, so I don't see why not.

Phoenix
19-03-15, 14:28
Well, they already give access to images of marriage certificates from parish registers in various counties, so I don't see why not.

It's an odd area. Not sure if it has changed now, but when TNA held the bmd fiche for the GRO, they did not allow access to some marriage databases. Not an Ancestry problem, but one that causes difficulties for researchers.

Olde Crone
19-03-15, 18:27
Wouldn't that be to do with who owns church registers against who owns GRO registers?

OC

Kit
26-03-15, 00:47
Reflecting on this amendment though....how suddenly and surprisingly things change! All the effort which has previously gone into this rsulted in nothing. Then overnight - bam!

Someone in parliament (or a member of their family) has now started researching their family and realised how much easier it would be if it was online. :d

Logically, it would be FMP as why would Ancestry kill the golden goose? Unless Siemens want to come back in?

whoever gets this will be guaranteed a lot more customers. Ancestry would be silly to not recognise this.

Kit
26-03-15, 01:00
Being really optimistic (and totally unrealistic) someone needs to get a move on. I want to buy a cert or 2. :)

Phoenix
26-03-15, 17:00
Someone in parliament (or a member of their family) has now started researching their family and realised how much easier it would be if it was online. :d

The lady who inserted the clause was the winner of our quiz at WDYTYA live in 2014 :D

Kit
27-03-15, 11:12
The lady who inserted the clause was the winner of our quiz at WDYTYA live in 2014 :D

Well I'm very glad she did. :)