PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Issell

Phoenix
16-03-15, 13:07
His marriage is the third on the page for 1589:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdev%2f005844108%2f00109&parentid=gbprs%2fdev%2fmar%2f67238%2f1&highlights=%22%22

Can anyone make out whether he does have a bride? (Neither I nor FMP have a clue)

Could anyone also suggest how this most awkward of names might be mistranscribed? Or even written? The spellings I have found have been consistent, but I cannot tell whether I am missing the obvious or if there is a variant I haven't thought of, or more prosaically that the records don't survive.

If nobody else, I should have a Leonard alive by 1623. (This family seem to link in in some way to the Dowse family of Totnes)

kiterunner
16-03-15, 13:21
Possibly Misees Bery? But I don't see anything like "and" or & like the other entries have.

Possible mistranscriptions for Issell: Iffell, Iffett, Issett, Ipell, Ippell, etc, also with a J at the beginning instead of an I. Other spellings I would imagine could include Izzell and Izzle.

marquette
16-03-15, 19:32
OH has Izants from Somerset, sometimes written as Ezzand, so you could try with an initial E instead of I

Di

Phoenix
16-03-15, 23:11
Thank you, Kite and Di!

I think I have also found it as Wells, an old transcriber suggested Tassell. Like my Skillings, I suspect the "ll" is the only reliable bit!

Phoenix
17-03-15, 22:44
Okay. To the list add: Isley Asley Esley. I wonder how on earth it was pronounced?