PDA

View Full Version : Newly discovered ancestors

Phoenix
09-03-15, 20:11
The old ones I greet like friends. They may be 6th, 8th, 9th great grandparents, but I've lived with them so long that they really are part of the family.

The new ones, however, are instantly forgetable, even if I was only researching them a few weeks ago and I share far more of the genetic code with them.

Merry
09-03-15, 20:48
But surely the old ones are the new ones? *confused*???

Olde Crone
09-03-15, 21:31
*Ignores Merry*

I know just what you mean, Phoenix. I can practically have a conversation with the relatives I have known about for years but more recent discoveries don't seem quite real somehow.

OC

Kit
10-03-15, 06:38
I care far more for some of my old dead relatives than my living ones. :rolleyes:

Phoenix
10-03-15, 07:52
Thirty years ago, my Norfolk ancestors were waiting like plums to be picked. Each summer I would harvest a dozen new ones, having spent all winter working out which registers and other records to search (you could only order up three books at a time, so you had to choose wisely) You made careful note of everything you found, in case it was useful later.

I looked at the name of one new ancestor on these boards, and hadn't a clue who she was, despite the fact that I'd obviously spent several hours researching her, and it's possible that my great aunts' granny would have heard tales of her.

Merry
10-03-15, 07:57
I care far more for some of my old dead relatives than my living ones. :rolleyes:

lol!! Me too!

I don't recognise the names of many of my ancestors I've discovered in the last two or three years.

I only have one pair of 9xgs and they are called Smith, so that's easy to remember!