PDA

View Full Version : Transcription help - Latin

Lindsay
07-03-15, 19:38
I have an inventory from 1615 which has a couple of dozen words at the end that I can't read - at least, I can make out some of them but not enough to make sense of it.

Does anyone fancy having a go? I could email a copy or post a few words at a time as attachments.

I've spent longer on these few words than I did on the rest of the inventory!

Phoenix
07-03-15, 19:40
I might manage the words, tho' not necessarily the translation.

Lindsay
07-03-15, 19:47
Any help would be appreciated. See what you think.

Lindsay
07-03-15, 21:09
Big thanks to Phoenix who managed to give me the gist of what it said :)

Phoenix
08-03-15, 09:10
If not all the words. Caesar's Gallic Wars had a different vocabulary. Lots of interfecit and having-been-slaughtered horses. Not much call for that in inventories!

ElizabethHerts
08-03-15, 09:48
If not all the words. Caesar's Gallic Wars had a different vocabulary. Lots of interfecit and having-been-slaughtered horses. Not much call for that in inventories!

Oh, Caesar's Gallic Wars! Well I remember them. Most memorable, however, was Lesbia, so beloved of Catullus. Again, not much use for family history.

Phoenix
08-03-15, 13:27
Oh, Caesar's Gallic Wars! Well I remember them. Most memorable, however, was Lesbia, so beloved of Catullus. Again, not much use for family history.

I was trying not to lower the tone there! But yes, while I only I have two, three word quotes from Caesar, I can spout masses of Catullus, and my paperback copy is appropriately wine-stained.

Uncle John
08-03-15, 15:53
I feel suitably impressed. I only progressed as far as the Aeneid for O Level Latin.

JBee
08-03-15, 18:00
2 terms of Latin at school - oh the shame as my Dad had a Masters in Latin and Greek lol.

Nell
08-03-15, 19:20
Agris cultis is an example of the ablative absolute. I knew learning it would come in handy one day!