PDA

View Full Version : Searching by address

JBee
06-03-15, 14:33
on FMP census.

Help I don't seem to be able to do this for 1871 census.

Can someone please help with an idiot's guide.

Thanks

Phoenix
06-03-15, 14:37
1871 is different. I don't think as many fields were indexed. Even on the old,old search you couldn't do sophisticated searches.

Merry
06-03-15, 14:51
I searched the 1871 on fmp for a specific address (High Street, Whittlesford, which I made up) and it would let me do it, but only with a surname in the box, which is a bit pointless if you don't know who you are looking for! I put Smith and got three hits.

The site seems to have crashed now, but I know I selected census and whatever comes with it under the main search heading, then census again from the next selection drop down and then filled in what I wanted. (I can say that again when the site comes back, if you need it! lol)

JBee
06-03-15, 15:04
Thanks Merry - I thought it was me as it didn't do anything and kept asking for a name. Will look for someone on the 1861 census living there.

Wondered if I missed ticking a box somewhere.

Also found that I couldn't remember my password so had to change it. Email comes on main computer so sorted that out. However I didn't actually log off when I came off site.

Then I tried to log in on laptop which it wouldn't let me. Eventually went back to main computer and then online to the site and found I was still logged in. So logged off.

Then went back to laptop and was able to log-in.

Must admit I thought it was them being overloaded.

Merry
06-03-15, 15:58
Ah, I didn't see this message on the search page before:

"Last Name is mandatory for the free weekend"

That's a bit cheeky when I'm not having a free weekend as I have a paid sub!!

JBee
06-03-15, 16:25
I've just been back on and saw the message - don't think it was there when I was trying earlier.

Merry
07-03-15, 07:12
I see during the "free" weekend you have to enter a surname in any search on fmp.

Roll on next week (for me)! I need it to go back to normal!!!