PDA

View Full Version : Inglis family

tenterfieldjulie
04-03-15, 08:14
I hoping to find whether family sponsored the way out for members of the Inglis family and I am wondering if anyone can find original images of the shipping list of the 'Jumna' who arrived in Aus on 6/4/1887 -
passengers Alexander & Janet Inglis and 7 of their children. I am hoping that it may give more information on the family.

Reputedly Alexander's brother, Thomas, had come to Australia in the 1870s. I believe he could be the Thomas age 29 a miner who came to Melb on the "Rock Carn" on 9/2/1872 and then from Melb to Sydney on the "Wentworth" 30/1/1874. He then settled in Grafton, NSW, where he, after trying his hand at mining, (probably gold, although back in Scotland they were coal miners), became a newsagent. Thomas married 1st in Grafton in 1885 Alice (Annie) McInnes and then after her death, married in 1892, Isabelle Finlayson.

John, the oldest son of Alexander, came to Aus on the "Jumna" 6/4/1887, he married a girl from Grafton, NSW, Mary McLachlan in 1891. His brother Thomas, married 1901 Grafton, Sarah McLachlan, Mary's sister.

There are a lot of Inglis listed on Trove, which frustratingly includes "ingly" in the Inglis search..

My old boss, Alexander Clyde Inglis, enlisted in WWII and was married 1st Q of 1923 at St. George's Hanover Square to Annie Watkins Smithson. I am wondering if anyone can see the original image of this? I can't find it on Ancestry or Find My Past.

Thanks. Julie

kiterunner
04-03-15, 08:58
My old boss, Alexander Clyde Inglis, enlisted in WWII and was married 1st Q of 1923 at St. George's Hanover Square to Annie Watkins Smithson. I am wondering if anyone can see the original image of this? I can't find it on Ancestry or Find My Past.

The London marriages on ancestry only go up to 1921, so it wouldn't be on there anyway. Could be that they got married at a register office, which would not be on Findmypast.

kiterunner
04-03-15, 09:05
Ancestry only has an index to the Queensland Passenger Lists, not images. The Jumna arriving at Brisbane 6 Apr 1887 is included in that index, but I can't find the Inglis family in there. The closest I can see is an "Alexander Imla" age 23 but the rest of the family doesn't seem to be there - and I assume that your Alexander was older than that anyway, if he had 7 children by then?
(Edit - found them in the index now but for some reason ancestry hasn't indexed the ship name.)

kiterunner
04-03-15, 09:09
But the Queensland State Archives seems to have the images available online:
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Immigration/Pages/Immigration1848.aspx
I'll see if I can find them, back in a minute...

kiterunner
04-03-15, 09:15
So here is the passenger list image:
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/ImmigrationIndexes/Documents/Jumna_1887_Apr_to_1888_Feb_QSA_Item_18484.pdf

It will load at page 1 of the PDF and you need to type in 15 and press return to get to the right image (page number will be 81 on the image.)

Alexander and Janet, with Peter, Thomas, Alexander, James, William and Maggie. Annie Inglis is on the next page. But there doesn't seem to be a John.
(Though I have sometimes come across John and Peter being mistranscriptions of each other? Sounds weird but if the name is scrawled it can happen as they are similar shapes.)

tenterfieldjulie
04-03-15, 10:33
Many thanks Kate.
John came the year before on the "New Guinea" that is wonderful I will go have a looke

tenterfieldjulie
04-03-15, 10:55
Says they were remittance passengers .. must google that - must mean paying, but by whom?

tenterfieldjulie
04-03-15, 11:00
From the Qld Govt site ..

Nominated or remittance passages Any natural born or naturalized person residing in Queensland, desiring to provide a passage to the Colony for a friend or relative in Europe, could obtain a passage warrant from the Government on payment of the require amount. The warrant was then forwarded to the friend or relative in Europe. On presentation of the warrant, the Government representative in Europe would then arrange a passage for the emigrant.

So the person had to be naturalised .. and living in Qld!!! I wonder where those records are held?

Would a Person born in Scotland need to be naturalised in Australia in 1886?

kiterunner
04-03-15, 12:23
I have seen records showing the name of the sponsor but they must have been from another state. I can't see anything in the "Immigration" PDF on the Queensland Archives site that says how to find out who the sponsor was.

I don't think that people from the UK had to be naturalised in Australia in those days but I suspect that the Queensland site is using the term loosely!

Janet
04-03-15, 14:04
Julie, for Trove have you tried placing a word space in front of Inglis in your search box? I can't play with it much right now, have to go out, but it might get rid of those "ingly" results.

tenterfieldjulie
04-03-15, 20:57
Thanks for your help Kate. I've seen those type of records too, but I think they were from NSW. So it appears that either Thomas, the brother, or John, the son, paid for the family's passage, unless there were other family members here who I am unaware of. As John had only been here 12 months you wouldn't think he would be able to. Maybe Thomas paid for them all to come out and John came out to tell them what he thought? I found that recently that a family didn't come out together, (I think it was the Ivey family) that some of the family came out more than ten years later.

Not sure what you mean Janet? Do you mean to put + sign before the name?

Janet
05-03-15, 02:12
Nope! Sorry, Julie, I was afraid I might not be clear and it seems my fears were founded.

I meant for you to type into the search field
[space]Inglis
where [space] is a normal word space that you type with the space bar on your keyboard, i.e., let the word space preceding the name be part of your search terms.

If the search engine is smart enough, it should then give you only the word Inglis standing alone. It should not hand you fragments of ingly that are part of another word. You're telling it that you only want instances where the 'I' is the start of a new word. Let me know if I've still not made myself clear!

tenterfieldjulie
05-03-15, 07:46
Sorry Janet it does not work for me .. wherever a word is split and hyphenated at the end of a line it picks it up .. eg accord-ingly keeps getting picked up ..
I've tried " inglis" " inglis" "spaceinglis" + inglis+ + inglis+ still picks up anything hyphenated mostly accord-ingly

Janet
05-03-15, 12:11
No, I'm the one who's sorry that my idea didn't work for you, Julie. :( It's so hard in Trove precisely because of the way the hyphenated words appear. I'll keep thinking, but I'm not sure there's any good way around it.

kiterunner
05-03-15, 13:22
Does this help, Julie?
From the Help section on Trove:

Search for an exact spelling

To help you find what you want, Trove applies a certain amount of fuzziness to its searches. So searching for Jackes would normally return results containing both Jackes and Jack (although Jackes would be considered more relevant).

To turn off the fuzziness and limit results to the exact spelling of your keywords, use the 'text:' modifier in the simple search box. For example:
•text:Jackes
•text:"watchmaker and jeweller"
•text:watchmaker text:jeweller

Note that relevance ranking may not perform as well as usual using this search method.