PDA

View Full Version : Anne Soar

kiterunner
27-02-15, 08:57
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Anne Soar or Sory, possibly a variation of Sawyer
Date and place of birth 1715 North Meols parish, Lancashire
Names of parents Thomas Soar / Soer / Sory and Ann nee Ball
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 13 Nov 1715 North Meols, Lancashire
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 29 Apr 1740 North Meols to John Marshall
Occupation(s) - if any Housewife
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1740-1746 Birkdale, Lancashire
1746 - transported to America
Date, place and cause of death Don't know
Date and place of burial. Not found
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Not found
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to son's thread:
James Marshall (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16823)

At the Lancaster sessions of Lent 1746, Anne was convicted of stealing 22 shillings and sentenced to 7 years transportation to America, which was deferred until after the birth of her baby. Son James Marshall was baptised 11 May 1746 at St Cuthbert's, North Meols, Lancashire, and the baptism record states that his mother Anne was transported. I have not yet managed to find out anything about what happened to her after she was transported, but I would absolutely love to find out.

Ancestry has an entry Anne Marshall, arrival year 1746, from "COLDHAM, PETER WILSON. Bonded Passengers to America. 9 vols. in 3. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1983. Vol. 8. Northern Circuit, 1665-1775: Cheshire, Cumberland, Durham, Lancashire, Northumberland, Westmorland, Yorkshire, and Flint. 54p."

kiterunner
27-02-15, 09:35
I have found some posts saying that Ann(e) was transported on the "Mary", captain John Johnstoun, in Jul 1746 and that the "Mary" was lost at sea, but not found anything to confirm this yet.

kiterunner
27-02-15, 14:48
The "Mary" seems to have sailed later in the year - if James's baptism record from 11 May says his mother was transported, I would have thought she was transported before or around that date. Maybe she was on the "Laura" (captain William Gracie) which sailed in April, according to this website?
http://thistleandbee.com/transport-ships.html

Also, if the "Mary" was lost at sea, the captain John Johnstoun seems to have survived as he is listed captaining more ships in the next few years, assuming it isn't someone else of the same name.

kiterunner
27-02-15, 15:00
Hmm, I found another book which says that John Marshall's first wife was called Margaret Sawrey of Little Urswick, and that they married in 1726 at Urswick (page 71-3 on link below)
http://marshallfamily.net/fam/familyhistory.pdf

It says that Margaret died without issue and that Ann was her cousin and came from Hawkshead.

But I will need to read through the rest of the book to see their sources etc.

kiterunner
27-02-15, 15:19
Hmm, having browsed through quite a bit of that book, I can't see where their information comes from but it seems unlikely to be accurate. I should think it is more likely that my John and Ann (and John's previous wife) came from North Meols parish, as there are likely baptisms for them there, and that they were not as wealthy as the people in that book, or why would Anne have stolen 22 shillings? So never mind about Urswick and Hawkshead.

Mary from Italy
27-02-15, 21:50
What a shame; with Sawreys in Hawkshead you might've been related to Libby :)