View Full Version : John Marshall

kiterunner
27-02-15, 08:49
Name - "official" name and what they were known as John Marshall
Date and place of birth 1697 North Meols parish, Lancashire
Names of parents William Marshall and Elizabeth nee Robinson
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 7 May 1697 North Meols, Lancashire
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
29 Apr 1740 at North Meols to Anne Soar. I would think there is a previous marriage to find, though, and perhaps a subsequent one.
Occupation(s) - if any Farmer
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). Birkdale, Lancashire
Date, place and cause of death Feb 1785 Birkdale, Lancashire, not got cause.
Date and place of burial. 15 Feb 1785 North Meols, Lancashire, age 91, abode Birkdale.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable None found
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to son's thread:
James Marshall (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16823)

I seem to remember there are public trees with more information but I needed to verify it before adding it to my tree. There is a John Marshall marriage to an Elizabeth Aindow 29 Jul 1728 but I don't see a burial for Elizabeth before the marriage to Anne. A book says his first wife was called Margaret and that she died in 1739, which looks to be correct as there is the burial of a Margaret, wife of John Marshall, 16 Oct 1739. The book also says that John Marshall took over the tenancy of Weathercock Farm, Birkdale, in 1737.

kiterunner
27-02-15, 15:58
There is the burial of an Elizabeth, daughter of John Marshall of Birkdale, 19 Oct 1751 at St Cuthbert's, North Meols. No age given and I can't find a baptism for her. Is she a daughter from his first marriage, or had he remarried after Anne was transported? (Or is it a different John Marshall?) Some public trees on ancestry have Elizabeth born 1726 at Birkdale, with her mother being Margaret (nee Borch - marriage to John Marshall 7 Dec 1718 at St Peter, Liverpool) but they don't have baptisms for her.

There are two baptisms for children of John Marshall of Birkdale before his marriage to Anne, mother's name not given but probably Margaret: William chr 29 Mar 1724 and Roger chr 17 May 1730. Then Roger Marshall, son of John of Birkdale, was buried 9 Apr 1751.

kiterunner
27-02-15, 16:13
Lancashire OPC site has that 1718 marriage at Liverpool St Peter as John Marshall, watchmaker, marrying Margaret Burch, spinster. It seems unlikely to be my John given the occupation and no mention of him living in Birkdale.