PDA

View Full Version : Help with Latin translation

maryphil
18-02-15, 21:00
Please could somebody help me with this Latin transcription, I am absolutely useless at Latin as I didn't study it at school.I think some of the words are not complete. I am not sure how to copy out the original part of the probate, but I think it says the following -

Fiat probato testi hmoi retroscripti de Adio bonor Testatoris, uni Heath Exorum uris in eod noia Reservata pote quoad alter

It could be

Fiat probato testi huiusmodi retroscripti de Administratio bonorum Testatoris, unico Heath Executorum uxoris in eodem nominato Reservata potestate quoad alterum

Thank-you very much.

Mary from Italy
18-02-15, 22:18
You haven't quite got all the Latin correct, but it's roughly as follows:

Let probate of the will written on the reverse of this page be granted for the administration of the Testator's goods to ? Heath wife sole executor appointed therein, power being reserved to any other.

I'm not sure if I've understood it quite right, because power is usually reserved to one of the executors named in the will when probate is only granted immediately to the other one(s).

Can you scan that part of the will and post it here?

kiterunner
18-02-15, 22:22
I think it is saying that probate was granted to the wife, who was one of the executors named in the will, with power reserved to the other executor.

maryphil
19-02-15, 15:52
Thank-you for all your help Mary and Kit. I'm doing these wills for a member of our Family History Society and did explain that I was useless at Latin, but he,stll sent some. I am sure what you have told me is fine
The reason I didn'scan the original was it was sent to me as an attachment.
I wont be online now for a week.
You are stars