PDA

View Full Version : NSW will books - findmypast

ElizabethHerts
13-02-15, 07:18
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/new-south-wales-will-books-1800-1952

kiterunner
13-02-15, 09:16
Oooh, that's exciting! Thanks, Elizabeth. Lots of mine in there.

ElizabethHerts
13-02-15, 09:24
Kate, I have just one from my Purkis family there - Henry Hatch Purkis, 1897.

Could you tell me if it says much?

Mary from Italy
13-02-15, 11:42
Interesting, off to have a look, thanks!

Mary from Italy
13-02-15, 11:46
Ooh, brilliant, my grandfather's will's there. I never met him, because he died when I was only 4 and living on the other side of the world.

Pity it's only a typewritten copy, without the original signatures.

Mary from Italy
13-02-15, 11:53
How annoying, the site doesn't seem to be working properly. If I put a Christian name in it shows no results (even when I know there are some), and if I just put a surname in loads of pages come up, but it only shows the first page of the results).

kiterunner
13-02-15, 13:02
I seem to remember similar problems when they launched another database, can't remember which one, and it was fixed later that day.

kiterunner
15-02-15, 22:26
When this was launched, I had a quick look for the Bristows and found loads, but now that I actually have time to start going through them properly, the Bristows have all disappeared! *cries*

Henry Hatch Purkis has disappeared too, Elizabeth, so I can't tell you how many pages for him.

Edit - ah, turns out it doesn't work if you tick the box for name variants but they reappear if you untick it! But I still can't find Henry Hatch Purkis. Also it won't show me page 2 of the results.

Janet
16-02-15, 04:13
Was this what you were looking for, Elizabeth?

First name(s) Henry Hatch
Last name Purkis
Death year 1897
Death date 16 Jan 1897
Occupation Fruit Grower
Residence Maryland NSW
Instrument Will
Will number 12751
Record set New South Wales Will Books 1800-1952
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Wills & probate
Collections from Australasia

If this is what wouldn't come up for you, Kite, then I don't understand. You of all people, with the magic fingers! It apparently has a mind of its own, because all I did was put Henry Hatch in the First Name field and Purkis in the Last Name and hit enter.

I thought the image was not going to load at all. Finally I tried downloading (right click, Save image as) and that worked. Shortly after that I saw that it had appeared also in my browser window, so seems just to have taken forever to retrieve the data.

I hope you still have the same email, Elizabeth. I sent you what I found.

Janet
16-02-15, 04:19
I found 23 Bristows, Kite. What in the world could be wrong with this database that they didn't turn up for you?

First name(s) Last name Death year Residence
Adelaide Anie Lucretia Bristow 1902 West Maitland
Alfred Bristow 1944 Cessnock NSW
Catherine Susan Bristow 1930 Grenfell NSW
Charles Henry Bristow 1951 Abermain NSW
Edward Bolton Bristow 1943 Wellington NZ
Eliza Bristow 1928 Bimbi NSW
Eliza Ann Bristow 1895 Leichhardt
Eliza Ann Bristow 1939 Coogee Cumberland
Emma Jane Bristow 1937 Broken Hill NSW
George Bristow 1939 Haberfield NSW
George Bristow 1951 Hornsby
Henry Bowman Bristow 1903 Morpeth NSW
Horace Patrick Bristow 1935 Barmedman NSW
Isabel Bristow 1930 Leichhardt
Jane Bristow 1943 Abermain Nsw
John Bristow 1939 Parkville VIC
John James Bristow 1937 Heddon Greta NSW
Kate Bristow 1923 Darlinghurst NSW
Mary Keziah Bristow 1951 Bulli
Susannah May Bristow 1934 Ashbury NSW
William Bristow 1921 Piney Range
William Claridge Bristow 1887 Annandale NSW
William Thomas Bristow 1916 ?

EDIT:
Has just occurred to me that, as you said they were quick to correct the issues with an earlier database and had it fixed by the next day, perhaps that's what was happening here. They may have been working on a fix just when you were running your queries.

ElizabethHerts
16-02-15, 08:03
Was this what you were looking for, Elizabeth?

First name(s) Henry Hatch
Last name Purkis
Death year 1897
Death date 16 Jan 1897
Occupation Fruit Grower
Residence Maryland NSW
Instrument Will
Will number 12751
Record set New South Wales Will Books 1800-1952
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Wills & probate
Collections from Australasia

If this is what wouldn't come up for you, Kite, then I don't understand. You of all people, with the magic fingers! It apparently has a mind of its own, because all I did was put Henry Hatch in the First Name field and Purkis in the Last Name and hit enter.

I thought the image was not going to load at all. Finally I tried downloading (right click, Save image as) and that worked. Shortly after that I saw that it had appeared also in my browser window, so seems just to have taken forever to retrieve the data.

I hope you still have the same email, Elizabeth. I sent you what I found.

Janet, thank you so much! It has come through safely and is much appreciated. William Hatch Purkis was the elder brother of my great-grandfather, Joseph Thomas Purkis. My mother kept in touch with the family and visited his descendants during the two trips she made to Australia.

kiterunner
16-02-15, 09:15
They seem to have fixed the search now.