PDA

View Full Version : Marriage of Richard Hammon/Hammond c. 1635

ElizabethHerts
10-02-15, 21:30
I have the will of Richard Hammond of Cocking, Sussex, dated 1646 and also that of his wife Elizabeth in the same year.

ELizabeth's father was Richard Cooke and she also had brothers Roger and Henry Cooke.

I can't find a marriage for Richard Hammond and Elizabeth Cooke, only this:

Name: Richard Hammon
Spouse's Name: Eliz. Hartly
Event Date: 19 Oct 1635
Event Place: Cocking,Sussex,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M07026-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 918267, 942.25 C3 V26
Reference ID:

In Elizabeth's will she mentions her father-in-law, Richard Hammond, who is still alive so this could be his second marriage. Neither will mentions a Mrs Hammond senior being still alive.

Can anyone spot a marriage for an Elizabeth Cooke for the correct time frame?

Phoenix
10-02-15, 21:38
I suppose there is nothing to prevent Elizabeth marrying as a widow?

ElizabethHerts
10-02-15, 21:44
No, Phoenix, but then I can't find any marriage for an Elizabeth Cooke at all near Cocking.
Her husband was baptised in 1608 so c. 38 when he died.

Phoenix
10-02-15, 21:55
I have so many families who sneer at me from the other side of the Interregnum because the records simply don't survive. I tend to take it as given that there is a generation gap in the registers (where they do survive) anywhere between 1620 and 1680.

I don't suppose there are any Hartly wills which might help?

ElizabethHerts
10-02-15, 21:58
I haven't looked at Hartly wills, although another will that arrived today had a Hartly as an overseer. I have discovered I am related in some way or another to just about everyone who lived in the parish of Cocking in the 1500s and 1600s!

Every will I now transcribe seems to mention someone I already have in my tree but from a different family, then I discover something like a brother or sister marrying into that family.

Thanks for your input, Phoenix.

Phoenix
10-02-15, 22:03
I feel I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here. It's a very odd period: lousy parish records, but lots of wonderful other records to make up for it.