PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two Davids

thecoiledspring
09-02-15, 23:44
Hi
This is my first ever post and I don’t even know if I’m in the right place but here goes.
I’ve hit an impasse and if anyone can help I would be extremely grateful. My family , Adamson, were boat builders in the 1700,s/1800,s in Scarborough. I’ve traced my family line as far as Benjaman Adamson born 1749 whose father was David Adamson. However the mother is not named on any research sites I’ve looked at. At this time there were two David Adamson’s married in Scarborough. David Adamson and Jane Huntriss married 2nd Dec 1733 and David Adamson and Mary Cooper married 20th April 1733. Is there any way of finding which David Adamson was Benjamans father.
Thanks

Merry
10-02-15, 06:16
Welcome to the forum, coiledspring!

The first things that come to mind are....have you seen images of the actual parish registers in case there is mention of occupations or addresses that might help separate these potential two families? Have you looked to see if either David left a will? What about checking the burial records to see when the two Davids and their two wives died in case any of them died before your Benjamin was born.

Looking at the England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 on Ancestry, it's not obvious there are definitely two families being baptised in Scarborough, but one David might have had his children baptised elsewhere or had no children (do you know if either of the marriages gave any further info about the couples?) - there are two babies named David, but no other name overlaps and a couple of children baptised a bit close together for comfort, but it's hard to know how close when it's not known (or not to me, anyway!) whether the years recorded are old or new style. Obviously, that doesn't kelp particularly with who the mother is!

There's other things I could suggest. but I have to make some porridge in a minute, but I expect others will come along with more suggestions....

Merry
10-02-15, 06:29
There's this administration ( from fmp):

Adamson David — — 1779 Prerogative & Exchequer Courts of York Probate Index, 1688-1858 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England

which described this David (whichever one he is!) as "the younger".

kiterunner
10-02-15, 07:22
Who were the witnesses at Benjamin's wedding? They might be relatives.

Phoenix
10-02-15, 07:35
Like everyone else, I agree that the only way to move forward is to see the original entries, and to have a close look at the Huntriss family, to see whether there are appropriate Janes who are still of child-bearing age after 16 years of marriage.

My gut feeling is that these are widowed father and his son. There are no guarantees in this game, but the register may refer to them as senior and junior, or name where they lived.

Where are local records for Scarborough held? There may well be apprenticeships, serving on town councils, local taxes etc unique to Scarborough in which they are mentioned.

Merry
10-02-15, 08:10
There's always the possibility David is the same man both times.

Who were the witnesses at Benjamin's wedding? They might be relatives.

They might be relatives of both of them though.

thecoiledspring
10-02-15, 08:31
Thanks for your help this is the info I have so far:

David Adamson marries Mary Cooper. Scarborough 20th April 1733
Children definitely mentioned to this couple: Jonathon B. 1743
David Adamson marries Jane Huntriss, Scarborough 2nd Dec 1733
Children definitely mentioned to this couple: Ann B.1740
Other Scarborough births to a father David Adamson but no mothers name:
1737 Arthur
1738 David
1738 John
1746 Mathias
1749 Benjaman or Benjamin
I,m trying to link Benjamin to one of these Davids
Thanks

kiterunner
10-02-15, 08:32
And have you looked these up in the actual parish registers?

Merry
10-02-15, 08:38
There are quite a few 18thC Scarborough Huntriss wills.

Merry
10-02-15, 08:46
Thanks for your help this is the info I have so far:

David Adamson marries Mary Cooper. Scarborough 20th April 1733
Children definitely mentioned to this couple: Jonathon B. 1743
David Adamson marries Jane Huntriss, Scarborough 2nd Dec 1733
Children definitely mentioned to this couple: Ann B.1740
Other Scarborough births to a father David Adamson but no mothers name:
1737 Arthur
1738 David
1738 John
1746 Mathias
1749 Benjaman or Benjamin
I,m trying to link Benjamin to one of these Davids
Thanks

There's also:

Hannah 1733
Thomas 1735
David 1736

Olde Crone
10-02-15, 09:15
In a similar situation at a similar time, it took me burial entries and monumental inscriptions to sort it out, seeing who went into which grave and with whom they shared a grave.

I agree with everyone else though, you do need to see the original registers.

OC

Margaret in Burton
10-02-15, 13:01
There is a Huntriss Row in Scarborough. Been there many times. It's a cobbled street in the town centre with shops.

No help at all of course but I thought I'd mention it.:D

Margaret in Burton
10-02-15, 13:04
Parish Registers are held in Beverley.

http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/leisure/archives-family-and-local-history/visiting-us/

thecoiledspring
10-02-15, 15:48
Thank you all. It seems a day out to Beverley is on the cards as the only way to unravel this conundrum.