PDA

View Full Version : Baptist records of Frome Selwood, Somerset

tenterfieldjulie
03-02-15, 09:49
I have been looking for the baptism/birth record of Thomas Ivey, son of William and Elizabeth, who put his birth at Frome, Somerset in the 1841 - 1861 Census records. I have not been able to find his baptism, but I found his brother William baptism 1799 and sister Betty baptised in 1807 as a 9 yr old.

Betty is in the 1841 and 1851 Census at Newington, Southwalk, Surrey. On FMP in 1851 birth place is transcribed as Oldford, but I think it could be Cloford. Would someone please check and see where you think that Elizabeth and Betty have had written as their birth places.

On a site called Geni, Thomas' baptism is given as 5 Feb 1797, born 1795 and I am wondering if anyone can find it on the Baptist records.

I believe they were Baptist because five of the family are buried from the Badcox Lane Baptist Pr, living Broadway, Frome and buried at Catherine Hill.

1. 20/10/1805 child of Willm - possibly William born 1799.
2. 24/1/1839 Francis son of Thomas aged 14 m.
3. 15/10/1843 Mary Ann infant (dau of Thomas)
4. 18/5/1848 Mary wife of Thos age 53 (nee Williamson)
5. 28/9/1849 Thomas Henry age 26 (child of Thomas and Mary)

When Thomas is buried 26 October 1865 at Frome, Somerset - there is no church recorded, but it is Vallis Road Cemetery, Frome, which I think I read was a Prot Diss Ground. His age is given as 71 so born C1794.

From Thomas 2nd marriage to Mary Alford he gives his father as William - carpenter and builder. Thomas occupation was a woolstapler/auctioneer.

I believe that Thomas parents were William Ivey and Elizabeth Kemp who married at Berkley, Somerset 31/12/1792. Elizabeth died at Southwark in 1852. She left a will leaving her laundry business to her daughter Betty and her late husband's carpentery tools to her son Thomas Ivey woolstapler of Frome, Somerset. I have not been able to conclusively prove when William died. Possibly at Newington in 1839, but I do not believe that he left a will or Elizabeth would not have been passing on his tools to Thomas in her will. Thank you. Julie

kiterunner
03-02-15, 10:11
The 1851 census entry is very hard to make out on FMP and even worse on ancestry, sorry. Elizabeth's birthplace looks like Somerset Be????? and Betty's could be either Cloford or Oldford.

tenterfieldjulie
03-02-15, 10:20
I have FMP Kate and their transcription is given as Bickenhall for Elizabeth, but it doesn't seem to have that many letters.
Is it possible that with some of the records that are so faint to read, that FMP might have an infrared light system to read film, that might show up letters that are not visible to the eye?

kiterunner
03-02-15, 10:22
FreeREG has the 1797 baptism: 5 Feb 1797 at St Mary, Berkley, Somerset, Thos, son of Wm and Eliz Ivey, age 19 months.

This site has links to lots of Somerset transcriptions:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ian.sage/PR/pr_index_ae.html#B

kiterunner
03-02-15, 10:25
I have FMP Kate and their transcription is given as Bickenhall for Elizabeth, but it doesn't seem to have that many letters.
Is it possible that with some of the records that are so faint to read, that FMP might have an infrared light system to read film, that might show up letters that are not visible to the eye?

I think it's ultra-violet light that they use, not infrared, or at least that's what they did with the water-damaged Manchester 1851 census records. But I don't know whether they have done the same with other census records. I know that ancestry transcribers have access to tools to alter the contrast, brightness etc of images.

kiterunner
03-02-15, 10:26
I do not believe that he left a will or Elizabeth would not have been passing on his tools to Thomas in her will.

She would if his will left them to her!

tenterfieldjulie
03-02-15, 10:35
Kate you are a gem .. I hadn't thought of his will leaving them to her ... maybe she wanted them to make repairs to her laundry !!.. Thank you very much for finding that Baptism. I have been using freereg but I couldn't find that .. mutters.
That is great it adds John to the siblings.. You'd think he would have probably died before his mother or he would be in her will .

tenterfieldjulie
03-02-15, 11:21
That is really interesting, from records of the Badcox Lane Meeting House (Baptist) Frome - there is a burial record on Freereg and another on FMP.

The record from Freereg and FMP give the same date 20/10/1805 for Burial,
but Freereg says child of Willm and no child's name given.

On the FMP record, where you can view the actual record, it is transcribed correctly as John, 9 years old with no mention of father's name.

So it would appear that there must be two different records, or am I wrong?

Why I am being pendantic looking for records, is that I am hoping that there may be some membership record of William Ivey Sen.

kiterunner
03-02-15, 11:54
Yes, there must be two different records, but unfortunately FreeREG doesn't tend to give enough information about the exact sources of their transcriptions. There might be more information if you try the Frome Hundred Group linked to on that other site that I linked to in post #4.

tenterfieldjulie
03-02-15, 12:07
Thanks Kate, I will look tomorrow .. after midnight here.

Shona
03-02-15, 16:20
The transcription of the marriage of William Ivey and Elizabeth Kemp in December 1792 on FMP records that William was from Bath St James.

There is an apprentice record for William Ivey, Frome Selwood, from July 1787 - I think it relates to when he completed his time with John Stocker, joiner

Thomas appears in an 1839 directory as being at Broadway, Frome. He lists his occupations as Auctioneer, Appraiser, House and Land Agent.

tenterfieldjulie
04-02-15, 00:26
I have the 1792 Marriage transcription Shona thank you, unfortunately no parents named.

That it is excellent finding the apprentice record as it puts William in Frome in 1787 prior to marriage.

The record you found of Thomas from 1839 broadens his occupation from woolstapler. I thought he was just onselling the wool, but from that record he was much more. In 1850 at his 2nd marriage he was an auctioneer, but in his 1865 will he calls himself a woolstapler.