PDA

View Full Version : Mary Ivey nee Williamson born Cornwall

tenterfieldjulie
30-01-15, 21:44
Help need from people who know places in Cornwall.

Mary Williamson married Thomas Ivey on 26/12/1816 at Bathwick, St. Mary, Somerset FMP

They lived at Broadway, Frome Selwood, Somerset. Thomas was a woolstapler.
They and some of their children are found on the 1841-1861 Census at Frome and after Thomas died 1865, Mary is at Milton Clevedon in the 1871 Census where Mary dies in 1873.

I am hoping that someone will look on the Census and tell me what is the place in Cornwall where Mary is born? It looks to me like Marvenstore or something similar, but the only place remotely like it is Marazanvose, which may be what it sounded like. Thank you. Julie

Rick
30-01-15, 21:54
Morwenstow - just north of Bude

kiterunner
30-01-15, 22:00
I reckon it is Morwenstow.

tenterfieldjulie
30-01-15, 22:09
Thanks very much. Now to find her baptism. It certainly doesn't want to show on the OPC. Wonders why I couldn't find Morwenstow .. obviously need more cool air. Thanks. Julie

tenterfieldjulie
30-01-15, 22:41
There seem to be many Mary Williams born in that time frame in Cornwall, but no Williamsons. Can anyone see the original record of the marriage to see what is says please? Julie

tenterfieldjulie
30-01-15, 22:52
There is a Mary Cleverdon baptised 7/6/1795 at Morwenstow to parents Anthony & Elizabeth. Cleverdon was a family name in Morwenstow since the 1600s.

Rick
30-01-15, 22:52
There seem to be many Mary Williams born in that time frame in Cornwall, but no Williamsons. Can anyone see the original record of the marriage to see what is says please? Julie

They aren't available online Julie - just indexes.

tenterfieldjulie
31-01-15, 01:41
Thanks Rick.

tenterfieldjulie
31-01-15, 07:12
Well not lost the plot quite yet .. thanks to freereg I found the Frome records online

Thomas Ivey ... grrh married two ladies called Mary .. the first one is with him in 1841
but she died 18 May 1848 Badcox Lane Baptist Pr wife of Thos Ivey aged 53 ..

then at St Cuthbert Church, Wells, - Thomas Ivey widower (Auctioneer) Frome married Mary Alford widower and they give the father's names and occupations .. lovely vicar ..
William Ivey, carpenter and builder and Anthony Gane mason.

A little problem in that it was Gay, I found the baptism of Mary Gay daughter of Anthony .. so now it all makes sense ..

still don't know who Mary Williamson was, but now know she wasn't born in Morwenstow, Cornwall or Cornwall at all .. maybe need to look in Wales ..

kiterunner
31-01-15, 09:27
I don't think Williamson was used much as a surname in Wales, Julie.

tenterfieldjulie
31-01-15, 10:09
Thanks Kate. I was really muddled.. Actually went back and had a look at the 1841 Census the only one that she was on and she said born County and living next door to them in Frome was a Thomas Williamson. So I looked at Frome baptisms and there they were Mary 1795 and Thomas in 1797 children of Thomas and Sarah.. so I am very pleased with what I can show my friend's elderly step sister who wanted to know about where the Ivey family came from.