PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Bailey MfMMMMMF

ElizabethHerts
29-01-15, 10:06
At the beginning of the week I took a punt and ordered the will of Thomas Bailey of Dodershall, Quainton, Buckinghamshire as I knew his daughter Susanna was from Quainton when she married. It is the correct man! He names his son-in-law Thomas Rose, although he doesn't mention Susanna by name.

His wife is obviously dead, so more research needed there.

Name
Thomas Bailey or Baily

Date and place of birth

Names of parents
John and Ann Bailey

Date and place of baptism

Details of each of his or her marriages
Thomas Baley of East Cleydon married Jane Smith of East Cleydon
on 8th April 1722 by Licence at
St Giles, Pitchcott, Buckinghamshire.

Children

Thomas baptised ? January 1722/23. Died 10 September 1766 in the 44th year of his life and buried at All Saints, Middle Claydon. His father added a codicil to his will a week later.
Anne bapitsed 31st May 1724 at East Claydon. She married Christopher Roads
Elizabeth baptised March 1726/27 at East Claydon. She married Thomas Norris
Martha baptised 2 March 1728/29 at All Saints, Middle Claydon, Buckinghamshire. Married Robert Jeff(e)s
Jane baptised 9 November 1731 at All Saints, Middle Claydon. Buried 25 July 1746 same place.
Catherine baptised 20 July 1735 at All Saints, Middle Claydon. Married Richard Smith
Pleasant/Pleasance baptised 2 November 1739 at All Saints, Middle Claydon. Married Robert Haines from London.
Susanna baptised 20 December 1742 at All Saints, Middle Claydon. Married Thomas Rose in 1761.

Occupation(s)
Grazier

Addresses
Quainton, Buckinghamshire

Date, place and cause of death

Date and place of burial

Details of will / administration of their estate

First name Thomas
Middle name -
Last name Baily
Occupation Grazier
Place Doddershall, Quainton
Date of will 25/2/1763
Date of probate 25/7/1767 (No Note)
Inventory
Codicil 19/9/1766
Notes
Reference DAWe: 94/191 DAWf: 86/85
Condition of will
Original Original Will

Memorial inscription

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16544&highlight=Susanna+Bailey
link to his daughter Susanna Bailey

ElizabethHerts
31-01-15, 17:09
added his known children and their spouses - some of the marriages appear in Bucks. marriage bonds and allegations

ElizabethHerts
05-03-15, 16:26
Rather perplexing - his wife is buried at Middle Claydon, as is his son Thomas in 1766. Thomas must die between 19th September 1766 and when probate was granted in July 1767, but I couldn't find a burial for him at Middle Claydon or at Quainton.

kiterunner
05-03-15, 16:29
Have you looked at actual registers or just indexes / transcriptions, Elizabeth? I have found some missing records for my tree in the past that turned up where I expected them to be in the registers but were missing from the online indexes.

ElizabethHerts
05-03-15, 17:21
I've been to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies today, Kate, and have been viewing the PRs on microfiche and have made some print-outs.

Also, Buckinghamshire Family History Society have a searchable database, and there were only three possible burials for a Thomas Bailey or Baily, all which I checked out. I don't think the coverage is 100 % complete, though.

In his will he bequeaths his daughters land in Great Horwood and he mentions some of it came from his father, so he might have chosen to be buried where he was born.

ElizabethHerts
05-03-15, 20:37
I forgot to mention that the records I wanted were not at Quainton but were at Middle Claydon, the neighbouring parish.

ElizabethHerts
17-03-15, 17:59
Another success at the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies today.

Thomas Baley of East Cleydon married Jane Smith of East Cleydon
on 8th April 1722 by Licence at
St Giles, Pitchcott, Buckinghamshire.

I found the baptism of the first three children at East Claydon.

To top it all, I found the very lengthy will of Thomas' father, John Bailey of East Claydon:
First name John
Middle name -
Last name Bailey
Occupation Yeoman
Place East Claydon
Date of will 13/4/1732
Date of probate 17/2/1739 (No Note)
Inventory
Codicil 7/6/1732; 23/7/1732
Notes
Reference DAWe: 74/114 DAWf: 82/114
Condition of will
Original Original Will

It contains lots of new information.

ElizabethHerts
02-06-15, 20:01
Today I went to the Centre of Buckinghamshire Studies and photographed some more wills, making some good progress.

Then we went to Claydon House. After lunch we visited the church and churchyard of Middle Claydon, which is right next to the house. I had a plan from the RO and after ten minutes or so I found the tomb of the Bailey family. It is a tomb rather than a headstone, the largest in the graveyard apart for a couple for the Verney family. However, the stone is very eroded. I took a fair few photos and now I have to study them carefully to see whether I can read much of the inscription.

ElizabethHerts
25-01-16, 09:03
I keep returning to the only other burial for a Thomas Bailey (and variant spellings) that I found when I was at the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies.

It's in the neighbouring village of Grendon Underwood on 17th July 1767.

My Thomas's will was proved on 25th July 1767, so what do you think?

Why would he be buried at Grendon Underwood when there was already a family tomb at Middle Claydon?

(Note to self: I wonder if there is a booklet of MIs for Grendon Underwood at Aylesbury which might have his details?)