PDA

View Full Version : Looking for birth and marriage for John Halseter

Sussex Maid
28-01-15, 22:01
I have John Halseter and his wife Ann in Little Laver Essex, with following children baptised there
1672 Daniel
1675 Freeborne
1679 Charles
1683 Rebecca
1690 Dorothy
There is also a son John Halseter ‘the younger, the eldest son’ referred to in the administration of John Halseter snr but have not found a baptism for him.
30 Jul 1690 an Inventory is taken the goods chattels and credits of John Halseter late of Little Laver, Clerke, decd.
John Halseter, Clerke must be the John Holsiter/Halseter/Halsiter on the CCED website appointed Rector of Little Laver 6 May 1670.
There are two other references on this website – a John Halseter was appointed Curate of Broughton, Hunts on 16 Jul 1662 and a John Halseter was Rector of St Nicholas Worcester 14 Jan 1637.
Cambridge University Alumni lists -
John Hallseter at Clare – Rector of Thorley 1643 and ‘one of these names R. of Little Laver 1670’ and
John Halsetur at Trinity – ‘of Worcestershire’, ‘perhaps s. of above’ and ‘probably brother of Daniel 1652’.
Have been looking at this family for a long while now and maybe this is as far as I can get with this line, but before I put them away, would appreciate any help/advice
Thank you

Phoenix
29-01-15, 13:23
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5272907 for what happened after John's death and

Humphrey Halsiter made a will proved 1655, probably shortly before his death as the tone is rushed - possibly he died of plague or similar - he had a son John, under age.

Sussex Maid
01-02-15, 09:13
Phoenix – thank you for your reply, and apologies for late reply, have been without internet connection since posting.
I have found wills (from SEAX) for a Humphrey Halseter (1687) and a Rebecca Halseter (1694) – mother and son, both of Bishops Stortford Herts, but had missed the Shropshire Humphrey Halsiter one, thank you. There has to be a connection but although the Will of Rebecca Halseter names ‘Anne Halseter the relict widow of John Halseter late of Little Laver, Clerk’ there is no relationship mentioned (all the other people named in her will are her sisters and their children).

Not sure if it is the same as today, but was there a minimum age for admittance to university in the 1600’s?
Sussex Maid

kiterunner
01-02-15, 09:55
They seem to have gone to university at a younger age than they do nowadays, going by the records I have seen recently. There isn't a minimum age nowadays though.

Phoenix
01-02-15, 10:13
In Oxford it appears to be anything between 15 and 23 at that period.

Sussex Maid
01-02-15, 15:42
KiteRunner and Phoenix - Thank you

Clot
31-01-17, 20:20
Hello, I've just discovered that Dorothy Halseter is an ancestor of mine. I wondered if you ever discovered the Halseter origins?