PDA

View Full Version : Gay marriages in history

kiterunner
26-01-15, 17:38
I was just reading a fascinating article about this in the Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/23/-sp-secret-history-same-sex-marriage

This is one of the marriage entries referred to in the article (right-hand page):
London Clandestine Marriages on ancestry (http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/5344/41813_b0146941-00007/770106?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk% 2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dfleetmarriagebap%26so%3d2%26p cat%3d34%26MS_AdvCB%3d1%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSA V%3d2%26gss%3dangs-c%26gsfn%3deli*%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln%3dh*th*l%26gs ln_x%3dXO%26cpxt%3d0%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3dv m5%26cp%3d11%26ti%3d5538&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults)

Asa
26-01-15, 19:32
I had no idea, Kate - really interesting article

maggie_4_7
26-01-15, 19:37
Fascinating thank you Kiterunner.

ElizabethHerts
26-01-15, 21:17
I too found the article fascinating. Thanks, Kate.

Olde Crone
26-01-15, 21:47
Very interesting but I struggle to understand why anyone would have thought they had contracted a legal marriage, when they knew very well that they did not fulfil the religious requirements. i.e. a man and a woman.

OC

Asa
27-01-15, 11:14
OC, I suppose it may have been because it was the closest they could get or perhaps a subversive act of rebellion?

vita
27-01-15, 11:21
Thanks Kite - very interesting.

I'm pretty sure I have identified two such ladies in my tree - though nothing like a

marriage appears to have taken place.

"Celebrate the difference" I say.

Olde Crone
27-01-15, 12:16
Asa

Although I am not in the slightest bit religious, if I were, the thought would always be in my head that "God knows I'm lying" lol - and if not religious then what was the point? Why not just pretend you were married, if it was just to satisfy some social need.

I have been to two gay weddings and don't have any problem with that at all, it's the deceit I have a problem with!

OC

anne fraser
27-01-15, 18:24
I remember years ago one of my history lecturers saying that the only British King to admit to a gay relationship was Richard 1st. He did penance for it.

It is difficult to find evidence for gay relatives though I do have one chap whose marriage was annulled on those grounds.

Olde Crone
27-01-15, 20:47
Oh, poor old Auntie Ivy, engaged for more than 20 years to a man who could not marry her because his elderly mother was an invalid and needed him. He couldn't even introduce her to his mother because she was very jealous and the shock might kill her.

Auntie got a bit fed up and decided to beard the mother in her den and tell her that she would be most welcome to live with them after their marriage and that she, Ivy, would look after her as if she was her own mother.

Mother turned out to be an active and sprightly old dear, who gave Ivy a cup of tea and then gently broke it to her that her fiance was unlikely to ever marry her, as he "preferred gentlemen to ladies".

Auntie never got over the shock and of course was far too old by then to have any chance of marriage. Her brother wanted her to sue for breach of promise but Auntie couldn't face the shame, disgrace and humiliation.

Thank goodness no one has to hide their sexual orientation nowadays.

OC

Janet
28-01-15, 02:07
Very interesting indeed. Thank you so much for that, Kite.

Kit
28-01-15, 05:10
the thought would always be in my head that "God knows I'm lying"

God does not approve would have been my issue.

I know of a now elderly lady who never married because she loved a gay man. The sad thing was he was a non practicing gay man as he was religious and thought it was a sin.

vita
28-01-15, 16:20
I remember years ago one of my history lecturers saying that the only British King to admit to a gay relationship was Richard 1st. He did penance for it.

It is difficult to find evidence for gay relatives though I do have one chap whose marriage was annulled on those grounds.

My mother she was Eleanor, my father Henry Two.

When I heard what folks were saying, the air it turned quite blue.

What was it that incurred my wrath? Oh, please don't get me started!

I used to have some clout round here when known as lion hearted.

But now they point and smirk and stare with no sense of decorum

Since Anne Fraser outed me on this very forum.

Olde Crone
28-01-15, 21:25
Vita

HAAAAAAAA!

Another belter!

OC

vita
28-01-15, 21:31
Vita

HAAAAAAAA!

Another belter!

OC