Mary Tyler

Date and place of birth
c. 1714 (calculated from death)

Names of parents
John Tyler, Wheelwright, of Haddenham

Date and place of baptism
6th March 1763 at St Mary, Ashendon, Buckinghamshire
"Mary wife of Thomas Rose"

Does this mean Mary wasn't baptised as a child?

Details of each of his or her marriages
From transcript of Cuddington, Buckinghamshire Marriage Register:
1738 Oct 7 Thomas ROSE of Ashendon m Mary TYLER
of Uxbridge by Lic

Children:
Thomas
John
Mary
Elizabeth
Sarah
Ann
Richard
William
Richard
all baptised at St Mary, Ashendon, Buckinghamshire

Occupation(s)
- her husband was a grazier

Addresses
Uxbridge, Middlesex
Pollicott, Ashendon, Buckinghamshire

Date, place and cause of death
17 March 1790 (see memorial).
Probably at Pollicott, Ashendon.

Date and place of burial
21 March 1790 at St Mary, Ashendon, Buckinghamshire

Details of will / administration of their estate
None for Mary - her husband left a will

Memorial inscription
On a lozenge in the nave of St Mary, Ashendon, Buckinghamshire.
I have photos of it. The lozenge is divided into four quarters.
Mary's memorial is on the left
MARY
the wife of
THOMAS ROSE
died March 17th 1790
Aged 76

link to son Thomas Rose:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16536&highlight=Thomas+Rose

ElizabethHerts
15-03-15, 09:49
I've just added the adult baptism of Mary in 1763. She would have been approx. 49.

Perhaps I should look for her birth in non-conformist registers.

ElizabethHerts
15-03-15, 11:29
Cuddington (a small parish) and the adjacent parish of Haddenham seem to have had a strong baptist tradition and Tylers were in the forefront of this community. I found this:

http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/tbhs/03-1_036.pdf

There are some Tyler wills at Haddenham and I'm going back to Aylesbury during the week, so I might take a look.

The article is very interesting. There appears to have been three brothers residing in the Haddenham area in the 1730s - Peter Tyler, John Tyler and their brother Richard Tyler, Wheelwright.

Also, the name Rose crops up. A later Peter Tyler revived the movement locally and he writes about the early history.

"The church at Haddenham being small and without a pastor, Mr. Collett used his influence with them to have their little place properly invested in the hands of trustees, which was done in 1734. The two principal and most active trustees were Mr. John Rose and my great-grandfather, Mr. John Tyler, both of Haddenham."

Perhaps Mary Tyler's husband, Thomas Rose, also came from Baptist parents??

kiterunner
15-03-15, 15:36
Date and place of baptism
6th March 1763 at St Mary, Ashendon, Buckinghamshire
"Mary wife of Thomas Rose"

Does this mean Mary wasn't baptised as a child?

Not necessarily - I have a Bridget Bangay in my tree who was born 10 Jul 1786 in Norwich and baptised at six days old at St Edmund, Norwich, then baptised 20 Dec 1840 at St Lawrence, Norwich, when she had been married for 36 years, with a note in the margin saying " This person's baptism appears to have been neglected in infancy". Her original baptism had been written in the burial register instead of the baptism one so they would not have seen it when they looked it up.

ElizabethHerts
15-03-15, 15:50
Kate, I'm hoping things might become clearer when I visit the RO. I know an adult baptism doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't C of E as a child.

Although she was from Uxbridge when she married, she was about 24 so I'm wondering if she was working there and came back home to marry.

Fingers crossed that I find a helpful will.

ElizabethHerts
17-03-15, 14:22
I'm really chuffed as I had a very fruitful visit to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies today.

I turns out that Mary Tyler's family were Baptist and the will I ordered for John Tyler was her father. The first person he mentions is his daughter Mary Rose:

"...my daughter Mary Rose the wife of Thomas Rose of Little Pollicut in
the parishe of Ashendon in the County of Buckingham Husbandman..."

John Tyler, Wheelwright
Haddenham
Date of will: 25/10/1753
Probate 6/10/1761
Ref. DAWe: 91/85
DAWf: 93/85

There were three brothers, John, Peter and Richard Tyler, all Baptists. I was then able to find further information on the family and on my next visit I will be viewing another will.