PDA

View Full Version : Even the professionals get it wrong....

Olde Crone
01-12-09, 20:10
Today I received a book I have been wanting for ages. amongst other things it has a transcript of a Will I've been dying to see.

A very useful will, confirming a lot of what I had assumed/known from other sources, but one peculiar bit I couldn't understand.

"To my nephew Andrew MEBLURE I give and bequeath £500".

Meblure doesn't sound like much of a name to me and indeed it isn't - it is MCCLURE, lol!

How very odd that a local historian of great repute should make this mistake. He annotes the Will in several places to explain odd things but must not have followed this up.

OC

Sally
01-12-09, 21:36
It only goes to show OC that absolutely nothing can be taken as proven until you have proven it yourself!!

It shakes one's belief a little tho doesn't it

Sally

Nell
04-12-09, 18:49
I found a baptism I'd been looking for for ages, on the LMA records on ancestry. The baby's surname was recorded as ROBERTS when it should have been ROBINS. A mistake by the vicar/curate? Probably, but as this family had no less than 13 babies baptised in the same church you'd think he would have known them!

Lancashire Lady
06-12-09, 12:22
I found a baptism I'd been looking for for ages, on the LMA records on ancestry. The baby's surname was recorded as ROBERTS when it should have been ROBINS. A mistake by the vicar/curate? Probably, but as this family had no less than 13 babies baptised in the same church you'd think he would have known them!

I've got a marrriage where the bride's name is recorded as HAWKIN and HAKIN on the same certificate!

FreeBMD has both names too.

geniebug
11-12-09, 23:34
And I have a census surname Lanchline (for Laughland) :( I'm surprised it was found.

Also a Sarah (son) - when it should have been Samuel! :d