PDA

View Full Version : Inventories

Lindsay
15-01-15, 19:21
If an inventory exists, does that mean there should also be a Will somewhere, or would an inventory also be carried out if someone died intestate?

Uncle John
15-01-15, 20:58
I presume you are talking Scottish wills here. I'm pretty certain there will be an inventory in all cases. If you search the Scottish wills, the index will say what the particular document is. There's sometimes enough detail in the index to not need to pay for the download.

kiterunner
15-01-15, 21:43
In England and Wales there can also be an inventory for an admon.

Lindsay
16-01-15, 17:12
Thanks. This is in England - there's an inventory but no matching Will listed so I guess I needn't spend too long looking for one. :(

Olde Crone
22-01-15, 15:04
I have an inventory for an admon in the Isle of Man. It makes heartbreaking reading as it lists the pitifully few possessions, including "half a broken brown pot".

OC

Chris in Sussex
23-01-15, 10:46
I have one that was on three rolled parchments. I would have been there for the day or more transcribing them so I took photos.....All 64 of them!

Fascinating reading, especially the debts owed to him as it included quite a few of his relatives who had not been mentioned in his will.

Chris

Lindsay
23-01-15, 11:02
I have one that was on three rolled parchments. I would have been there for the day or more transcribing them so I took photos.....All 64 of them! Chris

Goodness, that's some inventory - I've never had one longer than 2 pages.

I'll probably send for the one I've found in the hope that it holds something to suggest he's the man I think he is.

Uncle John
24-01-15, 10:44
My g-g-grandfather's Scottish inventory runs to several pages. He sold up his ironworks in Airdrie in 1860 at the age of about 55, moved to Rothesay and bought up a large number of properties which he seems to have let out.