PDA

View Full Version : George Richardson

bert
07-01-15, 19:57
Gday List,
I would like to add my Richardson to the forum.
My George Richardson was born in Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire in 1855.
Died by drowning in the Leeds Liverpool Canal in 1910
I don't know how this came to be. He worked for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board as a Carpenter and his family was a house full of girls and no sons and resided in Bottle Liverpool.
Any information on his death will be most welcome
Bert

Merry
07-01-15, 20:41
Is this his death registration?

Deaths Jun 1910
RICHARDSON George 55 West Derby 8b 177

Do you know his exact date of death? I was just looking at the newspapers, but didn't turn up anything immediately, so if would help to narrow the search timeframe.

kiterunner
07-01-15, 21:50
Bert, does George's death certificate say anything about an inquest?

kiterunner
07-01-15, 22:04
There are public family trees on ancestry showing the date of death as 31 Mar 1910. Bert, have you contacted any of the owners of those family trees to ask whether they have more information about his death?

bert
08-01-15, 19:59
Gday List.
My answer to all 3 questions is either I don't know, or no.
Bert

Merry
08-01-15, 20:01
How do you know what happened to him then?

Shona
09-01-15, 07:56
The Leeds-Liverpool canal goes through Bootle, where George lived at the time. There are some photos here and a map: http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/LLC/bootle_melling.html

It may be that he fell in the canal while he was walking to work with the Dock Board.

bert
09-01-15, 21:17
Gday Merry
I was told he drowned by a fellow researcher doing one of his daughters family history who was a sister to my grandmother.
Bert

bert
09-01-15, 21:32
Gday Shona
Thanks for the Canal site brought back childhood memories.
You may be right about falling in on his way to work, but I believe he took to the bottle after the death of his wife, that could also be the reason. I have not seen a police report on it.
Bert

kiterunner
09-01-15, 21:51
Bert, if I were you I would get a copy of the death certificate.

bert
10-01-15, 23:59
Will do Kiterunner
Bert

bert
11-01-15, 20:48
Gday List
I will be in England later this year, can I walk in off the street and purchase this certificate
Bert

Merry
11-01-15, 20:58
Gday List
I will be in England later this year, can I walk in off the street and purchase this certificate
Bert

Not just like that, no!

The registers for West Derby district are held across three register offices: Liverpool, Sefton and Knowsley. First you would need to enquire which of those three offices holds the death registers for 1910 for Bootle sub-district. The you would need to find out how long the particular office take to produce a copy certificate - could be the same day, but possibly several or a week, or whatever, plus do they take orders from callers or only postal requests?

it would be a whole lot easier to order online from the GRO and let the cert arrive through the post (I think overseas postage is the same cost as in the UK. A cert from the GRO is £9.25 and is often more expensive from a local office even if you collect in person) .

GRO:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/#0