PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Chadder

Kit
03-01-15, 05:40
Name - Sarah Drake nee Chadder (wife of John Drake)
Date and place of birth - unknown
Names of parents - unknown
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - John Drake 12/10/1768 Totnes Devon
Occupation(s) - if any
Addresses where they lived - Exmouth, Devon and Everett St, Russell Square, London.
Date, place and cause of death - 1830
Date and place of burial - 9/9/1830 St George Bloomsbury, Middlesex
(ancestry image : Sarah Drake Burial (http://interactive.ancestry.com.au/1559/31280_195168-00236/8743549?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.Ancestry.com.a u%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dlmadeaths%26so%3d2%26pcat%3d3 4%26MS_AdvCB%3d1%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d2%2 6msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-c%26gsfn%3dSarah%26gsfn_x%3d1%26gsln%3ddrake%26gsl n_x%3d1%26cpxt%3d1%26catBucket%3dr%26uidh%3de35%26 _83004003-n_xcl%3dm%26cp%3d11%26ftm%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults))
Details of will / administration of their estate - Will written 1829 and proven in London 1831
Memorial inscription - unknown

Kit
03-01-15, 09:26
Having looked through my information I am confident Sarah's father is William Chadder, which means Sarah is baptised 8/12/1743.

There are 9 Chadder children baptised to a William Chadder between 1732 and 1743. Two of the children are Mary and Dorothy. Mary marries a William Adams and Dorothy marries a William Marshall.

Sarah's husband, John, names a William Adams and William Marshall as executors in his will.

I know this isn't proof but it does support the theory.

tpb
23-01-16, 19:13
William Chadder was a surgeon in Totnes, Devon. He married Elizabeth Wise.

Dorothy Chadder married Dr. Wiliam Marshall, and their genealogy can be found in "Miscellanea Marescalliana, genealogical notes on the surname of Marshall" They had 9 children:
- One was Mary Ann Marshall, who married William Searle Bentall (they were my great great grandparents),
- Another was Rev. William Marshall, who married Isabella Carolina Clark Ogilvie Perry-Ogilvie, (whose parents' elopement was a big scandal at the time). Their daughter Clementina married Edward, son of Wiiliam Searle Bentall, and was my great grandmother.
- Another, Margaret Eleanora Admonition Marshall married Thornton Bentall, brother of the above William Searle Bentall.

Mary Chadder married William Adams, one of whose sons, another William Adams, was M.P. for Totnes, and another Samuel, married Elizabeth Bentall, sister of the two brothers.

Another William Marshall, cousin of the one above, married Louisa Bentall, another sister of those brothers. Their son, Charles Henry, married Charlotte Augusta Dring Drake, daughter of Sir William H. Drake, K.C.B. and so also great grand-daughter of Sarah Chadder and John Drake. His older brother, also William, was the father of Alfred Marshall, a famous economist, tutor and friend of John Maynard Keynes.

It is said that William Chadder's father was a Huguenot refugee. I would be interested to know if that can be confirmed, or if anything else is known of him.

Kit
25-01-16, 05:24
Thank you for this information.

William Henry Drake is my husband's 3g grandfather.

I had wondered Charlotte AD Drake's husband was connected to the other Marshall's but hadn't followed it up.

I have not heard about the possible Huguenot connection, it is not easy to investigate but I will see what I can find out.

Thank you for giving me William's wife's name. I had no idea, although I had thought it might be a surgeon.

tpb
26-01-16, 04:11
I am not sure how far back you are interested in researching. (The Drake family must have plenty of ancestral material).

But, for the record, and in case you are interested, about 40 years ago my father spent time researching our Devon ancestors. Before the internet, his sources were primarily the Genealogical Society in London, and the College of Heralds.

He recorded 12 generations of ancestors for Elizabeth Wise. If the first few generations can be substantiated, I think the earlier ones are on record.

Elizabeth Wise (m. William Chadder), daughter of
- Thomas Wise, of Warberton (m. Amy Leare), son of:
- Sampson Wise of Dittisham (m. Mary, daughter of Sir Samuel Somaster) son of:
- John Wise of Totnes (m. Dorothy, daughter of Josias Eveleigh)
- John Wise of Totnes (m. Emmet, daughter of Richard Vavasour) son of:
- John Wise of Sydenham (m. Alice daughter of John Harris of Hayne), son of:
- James Wise of Sydenham d. 1534 (m. Alice, daughter of John Dyneham of Worthen) son of:
- John Wise of Sydenham (m. Mary, daughter of James Chudleigh of Ashton), son of:
- Oliver Wise of Sydenham (m. Margaret, daughter of Sir John Tremayne, Kt), son of:
- Oliver Wise of Sydenham (m. Alicia) son of:
- Thomas Wise of Sydenham (m. Thomasin, daughter of Sir Baldwin Fulford), son of:
- Thomas Wise of Sydenham (m. Margaret, daughter of Roert Brett of Stattiscombe), son of:
- John Wise of Mount Wise and Sydenham, living around 1404.

Some support for this comes from an article in the 'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society' Volume XI. 1888. The first article "Excerpts from the Registers of the Parish of Much Wenlock" was written by Francis Benthall, and has copious information about Benthalls, and their relatives, including (on page 73) some information about the family of Elizabeth Chadder nee Wise. It matches the above information as far as her father and grandfather are concerned, but then deviates.
tpb