PDA

View Full Version : Do I want to

Phoenix
31-12-14, 18:42
Explore the Chancery case in which my ancestor was stripped of all the lands he was morally entitled to?

I'm sure I'll discover lots, but I hate stories with unhappy endings!

Olde Crone
31-12-14, 21:32
Phoenix

I had one which entertained the Chancery for over SEVENTY YEARS - three generations of the same two families. They were fighting over ownership of one field and each produced pedigrees going back to the 1300s.

The court eventually awarded them half the field each. I can only shudder at the likely cost of all this.

OC

Nell
31-12-14, 22:46
My lot never had anything worth arguing over. Ex's family had a Chancery case that is cited in law books. I once looked at a document the size of a small carpet at Kew - but couldn't understand it. I was only interested in the family history side of things, so was very frustrated that it mentioned a lot of family without saying who they were and I still can't piece it all together.

Kit
01-01-15, 03:55
Explore the Chancery case in which my ancestor was stripped of all the lands he was morally entitled to?

I'm sure I'll discover lots, but I hate stories with unhappy endings!

Yes. You know the ending so it wont be so bad.

ElizabethHerts
01-01-15, 06:34
I have five Chancery cases to investigate and I really must get to the National Archives to look at them. It will be too expensive otherwise.

Phoenix
01-01-15, 07:52
Yes. You know the ending so it wont be so bad.

I know that most Chancery cases are unseemly squabbles about things that seem petty to us. I have seen several that are literally pillow fights (those cushions belong to me!) but in most cases you get the bills and the pleadings, but not the final decision.

I hate the creeping sense of doom that hangs over the past when you know you cannot change things.

vita
01-01-15, 15:35
I know that most Chancery cases are unseemly squabbles about things that seem petty to us. I have seen several that are literally pillow fights (those cushions belong to me!) but in most cases you get the bills and the pleadings, but not the final decision.

I hate the creeping sense of doom that hangs over the past when you know you cannot change things.

I know what you mean Phoenix, but I'd just have to know - curiosity would

get the better of me. But if its likely to make you sad, don't do it.

Uncle John
01-01-15, 20:56
Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce made a nice packet for Charles Dickens. I haven't re-read John Galsworthy for a long time, but I seem to remember the Forsytes were involved in a Chancery case (must have been, one book is entitled "In Chancery"!).

Kit
02-01-15, 12:18

I hate that feeling.

Uncle John
02-01-15, 16:02
I hate that feeling.

Buy yourself a De Lorean or a London police box.

Kit
10-01-15, 07:50
Buy yourself a De Lorean or a London police box.

I wish...

Phoenix
10-01-15, 08:47
Memo to self: do it while you think about it. Station bridge is closed for six weeks: doubt I'll be thinking of this in March!

ElizabethHerts
10-01-15, 09:08
Memo to self: do it while you think about it. Station bridge is closed for six weeks: doubt I'll be thinking of this in March!

Which station bridge is close, Phoenix? I am trying to organise myself enough to fix a day to go...

Phoenix
10-01-15, 09:50
It's alright, Elizabeth, it's my local station, rather than anything at Kew. Though do check things out: I know Nell has often found the journey challenging and there is so much engineering work going on at the moment.

ElizabethHerts
10-01-15, 10:33
We are on the Thameslink line and there are always problems brewing. However, I am lucky as it's 30 minutes from here to St Pancras. To go to Kew I can get a train to West Hampstead and change there, so it's not too bad. I won't go at the weekend, though, as engineering works seem to blight the service.