PDA

View Full Version : Henry Massey

Phoenix
26-12-14, 20:38
Henry marries Elizabeth Tayler in Newington in 1787.

They have two children in rapid succession: Thomas Henry in 1788, (Bermondsey Square, Gent.) and George in 1789 (Grange Road, Bermondsey, Gent).

In 1795, Elizabeth Frances is baptised, in Bermondsey. Henry is then described as a mariner, of Dock Head. Then he disappears.

The obvious conclusion is that he dies at sea.

Thomas and Elizabeth both marry on the same day in 1814. An Elizabeth Massey makes her mark as witness, so presumably this is their mother. Then she disappears.

All I know of George is that he is baptised.

Can anyone see what happened to Henry, Elizabeth or their son George?

kiterunner
26-12-14, 22:29
There is a George Massey on the 1851 census at 4 Adams Row, St Pancras, age 59, a Hatter, born London, with wife Martha 60 born Faringdon, Berks, and daughters Clara 27 and Eliza 16, both born St Pancras. But he is probably the one who was baptised 1792 at St Pancras, son of George and Ann.

kiterunner
26-12-14, 22:40
Oh, there's a George Massey in the Criminal Registers, Middlesex, 1822, age 33, Assault with Intent to Rob, sentenced to 7 years transportation.

Merry
27-12-14, 08:08
George Massey

George Massey, one of 160 convicts transported on the Henry, April 1823

Crime: -
Convicted at: London Gaol Delivery
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Henry
Departure date: April, 1823
Arrival date: 26th August, 1823
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 159 other convicts

Sentence details: Convicted at London Gaol Delivery for a term of 7 years on 23 October 1822.

The Morning Post 28 Oct 1822:

George Massey stood indicted for endeavouring to extort money from James Lockwood. It appeared that the prosecutor, in the month of September last, was accosted by the prisoner, who charged him with taking liberties, at a print shop in St. Paul's Churchyard. The villain even followed him home, and knocked loudly on the door, demanding money.
The guilt of the prisoner was fully and most satisfactorily proved. He was immediately found Guilty, and sentenced to seven years' transportation.

Info on the Old Baily site adds:

The prisoner had attacked the prosecutor in the street, and in a most scandalous manner charged him with an unnatural crime, the particulars of which are too indelicate for publication.

The Old Bailey site gives this George's age as 43 rather than 33, so may or may not be your George! I wonder which age is the right one?

Merry
27-12-14, 08:54
Apparently, this record:

Ancestry.com. New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters. Class: HO 10; Piece: 20

states:

Born c. 1792. Assigned to Government service at Newcastle

I don't have a world sub.

kiterunner
27-12-14, 09:57
Yes. that's what it says. And shows the vessel name as the Henry, arrival 1823, sentence 7 years. My 3xg-grandfather James Ferrier was captain of a convict ship named the Henry at that time; I wonder whether it was the same ship. George Massey is listed at Sydney on the 1828 NSW General Muster, residence Phoenix Hulk.

In the Newcastle (Hunter River) Population Book of 1824 he is listed as Geo Wm Massey born 1792, employment column says assigned to Mr Wm Hickey. There is a William George Massey born 30 Mar 1793 and baptised 22 May 1793 at St Marylebone, son of Thomas and Hannah so maybe that's the one who was transported.

Merry
27-12-14, 15:38
Hmmm.....bother!

kiterunner
27-12-14, 16:30
There is a Henry Massey buried 10 Aug 1826 at St James Clerkenwell, age 58, abode Woods Place.

Phoenix
29-12-14, 21:55
Thank you both!

Having read the newspaper accounts for the George who was transported, I do wonder who was more to blame in the incident. But am glad he probably isn't related.