PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Turrill

Asa
23-12-14, 15:24
I have a Thomas Turrill born 23 Feb 1804 and baptised 10 May St Martin in the Fields Westminster, third and youngest son of Francis and Sarah. Francis was a Citizen and coachmaker of Long Acre. He died in 1819 and was buried in his mother's home parish in Oxfordshire on 3rd August - aged 15, abode Long Acre, London.

Ancestry comes up with a hint in UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects 1627-1965 - a Thomas Turrill aged 15 buried 23rd Jul son of (blank) and a pupil of Monsr Benist?, drowned in bathing. Service performed by the Rev Sir John Head.

Is this the same person and not a burial? Or a complete coincidence? I have no idea how long it would take to get a body from France to Oxfordshire at this time but I'd have guessed longer than this?

kiterunner
23-12-14, 15:59
The Boulogne record certainly looks like a burial and J Head signed as a witness. Where does your information about the Oxfordshire burial come from?

Asa
23-12-14, 16:00
That's from the PRs. I think there's a headstone but not very legible.

kiterunner
23-12-14, 17:10
I wouldn't have thought it would take all that long to get a body from Boulogne to Oxfordshire even then, but I don't know why the Boulogne entry would be written up as a burial if it is the same person.

Asa
23-12-14, 17:18
I tried searching the newspapers on FMP but couldn't find it. I have found other family deaths before with this group. It doesn't make much sense but I haven't seen another likely candidate and there are the coincidences of age, name and period in which he died. Odd.