PDA

View Full Version : Boer War records

WendyPusey
21-12-14, 15:37
My grandfather Benjamin Christopher Thomas 1870 Heston, Middlesex served in the Boer War. I have some information from his discharge papers but would like any other information regarding where he actually was during the war if that is at all possible.

Could some kind person see if they can find any Military records for the Boer War please. I don't have subs to Ancestry or FMP.

Information I have:

Corporal 3385, Scottish Rifles,
Joined 04.08.1890 aged 20,
Awarded South Africa medals for 1900, 1901 & 1902 (Boar War).
Served 12 years, 24 days (7 years, 224 days were abroad).
Discharged 30/08/1902.

JBee
21-12-14, 18:06
Just did a quick search but nothing came up.

Will have another go.

There's his attestation papers for WW1 Army Resrve (Special Reservists) on ancestry.

Have you got them?

Merry
21-12-14, 18:11
The places he served are included in the fmp records I posted on your other thread (the first one without his middle name). I would download the pages for you and send them but as I said before this laptop is so slow it would take forever. Have you ever had a free sub to fmp?

Merry
21-12-14, 18:12
Looks like you have most of the info in your opening post!

WendyPusey
21-12-14, 19:09
I only have his discharge papers. I have never had a sub to FMP.

That info you posted Merry doesn't tell me much more than I already now.

Merry
21-12-14, 19:20
Sorry. From memory the first set of papers is three or four pages and the other one is 8 pages. I thought maybe you could get 14 day free trial of fmp?

Shona
21-12-14, 20:09
The following is from the Cameronians website http://www.cameronians.siteiscentral.com/1801/people/a-d-eden

On 9 October 1899, the 2nd Battalion received orders to mobilise for service in South Africa. The war started three days later when the Boers invaded Natal.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th Battalions of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) served in the war, in addition to providing a section of mounted infantry which grew into a company of Gough’s Mounted Infantry.

The 2nd Battalion was commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Cooke and formed part of the 4th Brigade of the 2nd Division. Comprising 25 officers and 936 men, the Battalion arrived at Durban on 21 November.

The 4th Brigade played a supportive role in an attack on Colenso, covering the withdrawal of the 2nd Brigade, commanded by Sir Redvers Buller, who suffered over 1,100 casualties.

The 2nd Battalion played a vital role in the Battle of Spion Kop on 23 and 24 January 1900. Spion Kop was the largest hill in the region and its capture represented a significant victory over the Boers and a step towards relieving besieged British forces in Ladysmith. Over 1,700 of the defeated British forces were killed or wounded, including 26 dead and 61 wounded from the Scottish Rifles.

After reaching Ladysmith, the next stage of the campaign was to take Natal, the Transvaal and Pretoria.

Following this, there was a period of guerrilla warfare by the Boers, during which the Scottish Rifles were stationed at Greylingstad Kopje, guarding important lines of communication.

On leaving the area on 19 September 1901, the Battalion left their mark in the form of the letters ‘S.R.’ built in stone on the hillside.

WendyPusey
22-12-14, 09:09
Thanks Shona, that is interesting information and will add a bit more to his Military history.

Guinevere
22-12-14, 13:52
There are 12 pages, Wendy, would you like me to send them to you?

WendyPusey
22-12-14, 14:05
Oh yes please Gwynne. Thank you.

Guinevere
22-12-14, 15:38
Pm me your email address and I will.