PDA

View Full Version : John Lakin (FMMMFFF)

Merry
21-12-14, 07:26
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

John Lakin

Date and place of birth

Unknown

Names of parents

Unknown

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

2 May 1720 at All Saints, Alrewas, Staffordshire to Elizabeth Shemons

Occupation(s) - if any

Unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

Children bap at Alrewas 1720-1727

Date, place and cause of death

Unknown

Date and place of burial.

Unknown

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

Unknown

Memorial inscription - if any

Unknown

link to 4xg:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=21353&highlight=samuel+lakin

Merry
21-12-14, 08:01
There's a possible burial for John Lakin in Alrewas 5 Jan 1729. Says he is of The Sale.

There's a burial for "John the son of Elizabeth Lakin, widow, of The Sale in 1746. My John and Elizabeth dad have a son John in 1724. He seems quite old to have his mother mentioned. I will have to look and see how many John Lakins were baptised with mother Elizabeth and a father who died by 1746.

There are several burials for Elizabeth Lakins (should be on other thread!), but once I'd eliminated al the children and wives of other men there was just this one:

1752 widow of The Sale

Merry
21-12-14, 08:01
I will have to look and see how many John Lakins were baptised with mother Elizabeth and a father who died by 1746.

None in Alrewas.

Merry
21-12-14, 08:10
There's a possible burial for John Lakin in Alrewas 5 Jan 1729. Says he is of The Sale.

Oooh, there's a will - I wonder if this is the same man? I can't find any other burial to fit:

Personal Details
Surname: Lakin
Forename(s): John
Place of Residence: Fradley, Alrewas
County: Staffordshire
Occupation/Status: yeoman

Type of Document Recorded
Will: Yes
Letter of Administration: No
Inventory of Goods: Yes

Other Information
Repository: Lichfield Record Office
Date Recorded: 10 Jan 1730
In some cases only the month/year or just year is available.
Court: Prebend of Alrewas
Reference: P/C/11
Notes: None Recorded

Merry
21-12-14, 08:30
Looking for a possible baptism for John, I wonder if this is him

Lakin bap 6 Jun 1696 at All Saints, Alrewas, Stafford, parent Robertis

I've looked at the register and this is the only entry on the page (and there are a lot) where neither the sex or the forename of the child has been recorded. Typical. And no will that I can see for Robert.

Merry
21-12-14, 08:48
There is a bap for a John but back in 1681 which feels a bit early. No doubt there are loads in the surrounding parishes too, so will need to look at this from a different angle.....

First to get that will for John.

Merry
28-12-14, 16:39
Will ordered.

Merry
23-01-15, 12:59
Will received and it looks as if I'm going to have to do a lot of rethinking! Getting nowhere so far!

I was hoping this will (signed 1729) was going to mention wife Elizabeth and children Thomas, John and Samuel (my 4xg), all minors.

However, the will seems to belong to an older person......

John Lakin - testator
Unnamed wife - executrix (I would imagine her name would be on the probate entry, but I've not been given a copy of that)
Thomas Lakin - adult son
John Lakin - son, minor
Samuel Lakin - brother
Thomas Lakin - father, decd

Property "The Sale House" Fradley, Alrewas.

I have the burial for John Lakin of The Sale in Jan 1729/30 which must be this man, but which I previously thought belonged to my younger man.

I found one baptism for a Samuel Lakin son of Thomas at Alrewas in 1671. I thought this might be the brother mentioned in the will, but I've not been able to find a sibling called John (ie this testator)

*sigh*

kiterunner
23-01-15, 15:16
I don't think this is already mentioned on this thread, but the baptisms of your John's sons Thomas and two Johns in 1720 - 1724 do say "of the Sale".

Also "the Sale" is terrible to google for!

Merry
23-01-15, 16:28
I think I did know that at one point! lol

Doh, of course it's on my tree, but only if I look at the full record for each child. Thanks Kate!

So, I feel it may turn out that the John whose will I just received will be the uncle of the John this thread is about. I could do with a will for the elusive Thomas Lakin (the will writer's father). There are burials in 1702 and 1720 for Thomas Lakin of Fradley and Thomas Lakin of The Sale respectively, one of which is probably the right man. The other burial could potentially be a son.

Lichfield is only a couple of miles away and, according to FS, there's a massive gap in their registers towards the end of the 1600s. That doesn't explain why I can't find the people from the will anywhere (sons Thomas, full age and John, a minor in 1729).

I probably should go through all the burials at Alrewas for Lakin to see where they all lived.

Merry
24-01-15, 18:08
John Lakin - testator
Unnamed wife - executrix (I would imagine her name would be on the probate entry, but I've not been given a copy of that)
Thomas Lakin - adult son
John Lakin - son, minor
Samuel Lakin - brother
Thomas Lakin - father, decd

I was feeling fed up about the above John Lakin not naming his wife and thought about sending an email to Lichfield archives asking if they were sure they didn't have a copy of the probate. Well, it's a good job I didn't, as I was just filing away the four sheets of A3 they had sent me when I happened to turn one of them over, only to find the probate on the back!!! This told me John's widow was Eliza which is only one step better than Elizabeth!! There are no Eliza burials in Alrewas at the right time. So, I have two couples with virtually the same names and almost the same children, but only two burials for the four individuals! *sigh*. Oh and I can't find another marriage between a John and Eliza(beth) maybe around 1690-1710 for the John who wrote the will (or to anyone else for that matter - he could have had more than one wife....)