PDA

View Full Version : Mary Taylor (MFMMMFM)

Merry
16-12-14, 06:06
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

Mary Taylor

Date and place of birth

About 1727

Names of parents

Joseph Taylor of the City of London

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Not baptised as family were Quakers

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

15 Sept 1749 at the Quaker Meeting House, Shutford, Oxfordshire to John Tyler

Occupation(s) - if any

Unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

Children born at Shutford and North Newington between 1750 and 1766

Date, place and cause of death

July 1798

Date and place of burial.

25 Jul 1798 at the Quaker Burying Ground, Banbury, Oxfordshire

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

None found

Memorial inscription - if any

Unknown

link to 4xg:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=15413&highlight=joseph+tyler

Merry
16-12-14, 08:56
I feel it's likely Mary Taylor's (or Tayler) family were mainly based in Oxfordshire despite her father being "of the City of London" at her marriage in 1749.

It's a pity Taylor is such a common name - below are some of the witnesses at the 1749 marriage (the Meeting record on Ancestry have them all as Tayler, but the original version I have from Oxford RO has some as Taylor and some as Tayler, so take your pick!):

William Tayler
John Tayler
Hannah Tayler
Mary Tayler
William Tayler

Of course some of the others may be women who started out as Taylers too. I can't imagine all those people came from London for the wedding!

I can eliminate a whole lot of Tylers who were witnesses as they will be related to the groom. The other witnesses are:

Robert Halks
Alice Halks
Sarah Brearley
Sarah Hall
William Halks
Elizabeth Gunn
Elizabeth King
Benjamin Kidd
John Gauthern
Simon Hunt
William Stevens
William Halks
John Middleton
Richard Bradly
William Tompson
Sarah Walden
John Tompson
John Farndon
Samuel Tompson
James Rimel
Hannah Cartwright
Sarah Dun (or Deen?)
Robert Halks
John Claridge
Thomas Farndon
Thomas Lamb
William Lamb
Elizabeth Bowers ?
Rachel Bowers ?
Daniel Alcock
Elizabeth Fardon
Jonathan Fardon

Many of these will not be relatives, just members of the Meeting, but I'll have a look to see if I can tie any in....

Merry
16-12-14, 09:51
Everything in this post is from Quaker records, unless some other place specified.

Mary and her husband, John Tyler, had a son they named Timothy (born Nov 1766 at North Newington, Oxon). Timothy doesn't seem to be a common name at that time.

There's a Timothy Taylor (adult by the look of it) buried at Shutford, Oxon (2 miles from North Newington) a few weeks before the birth of Timothy Tyler. I wonder if he was a relative?

He might be the same Timothy who was born at Shutford in 1702, the son of William and Mary Taylor.

Other children of William and Mary seem to be Martha 1695, William 1697 and Alice 1704. Not a lot of help! I was hoping to find Joseph, father of my Mary Taylor.

There's a Joseph Taylor born at Shennington, also nearby, in Dec 1695, parents Robert (my Tylers named their first two sons Robert) and Mary. A Joseph Taylor died and was buried in Whitechapel in 1753 aged 57.

Oooh, Robert and Mary had a Timothy as well:

Elizabeth 1687
Timothy 1688
Jonathan 1689
Robert 1691
William 1693
Joseph 1695
Benjamin 1698

All at Shennington.

My brain is aching. Need to read this again....

Merry
16-12-14, 11:48
There's a Joseph Taylor born at Shennington, also nearby, in Dec 1695, parents Robert (my Tylers named their first two sons Robert) and Mary. A Joseph Taylor died and was buried in Whitechapel in 1753 aged 57.

....and my Mary Taylor who was supposed to have been born about 1727 may well be this one:

Name: Mary Taylor
Event Type: Birth
Birth Date: 16 Dec 1726
Birth Place: Shennington, England
Father: Joseph Taylor
Mother: Mary Taylor
Meeting: Monthly Meeting of Banbury

Merry
16-12-14, 11:57
Oh, I've just remembered, the Quaker dates are all over the place before 1752 as the transcribers can't decide which month is the first month, so sometimes March and sometimes January.

I think I need to eat something! lol

Merry
16-12-14, 12:46
Joseph b Shennington 1695 seems to have married twice, though I can't find either of his marriages. These seem to be his children (all Shennington)

with Mary:

Elizabeth 1723
Mary 1726 (hopefully the subject of this thread)

Mary was buried at the end of 1726.

with Sarah:

William 1728
Joseph 1729
Hannah 1731
Ann 1733
Sarah 1735
Susannah 1737
Benjamin 1738
Rachel 1741
Edward 1742

I looked for a few of these in later life without being able to be sure I had the right people, but......remember I found a burial for a Joseph Taylor in Whitechapel in 1753 aged 57....I just found this burial:

Edward Taylor son of Joseph Taylor of Crispin Street aged about one year (he was born 27 Oct 1742) who died 28th of the month called October 1743 - searchers report of convulsions - was buried 30th of the same in Friends Burying Ground near White Chappel.

Merry
16-12-14, 13:31
As well as the Joseph who was buried in Whitechapel in 1753 aged 57, there's also a Joseph Taylor buried near Bunhill "of St Leonard's Shoreditch" aged about 75 years in 1774 (so his age is a bit low). This one wrote a will and left everything to his daughter in law, Ann Taylor, wife of his late son Joseph. As my Joseph appears to have so many children I am not at all sure this is the right one, but thought I'd add it here in case I forget!

Merry
17-12-14, 12:11
Post #6, Joseph and Sarah Taylor had a son, William, at Shennington (I think the place name is actually spelled Shenington) in 1728. I think I have found his marriage:

At Devonshire house the 27th of the third month 1753

William Taylor of Spitalfields London, shoemaker (my Tyler's were all shoemakers), son of Joseph Taylor now of Spitalfields, London, shoemaker, and Sarah his wife deceased and Susannah Martin...etc etc

The witnesses are divided into Relations and others this time, which is helpful. Relations are:

Joseph Taylor
Eliz Taylor
Jane Woodhouse
Joseph Taylor junr
Hannah Taylor
Ann Taylor

Merry
17-12-14, 12:25
I can eliminate the Joseph Taylor who died in 1774 (post #7) as I've now found the marriage for Joseph Taylor jr ...

At Croydon, Surrey, 11 Sept 1760....

Joseph Taylor jr Citizen and Tallow Chandler of London son of Joseph Taylor late of London, Cordwainer and Sarah his wife, both deceased and Sarah Owen .....etc etc

There are a lot more relations for this marriage, so I'm just listing the more obvious ones for the time being...

Benjamin Taylor
Eliz Taylor
Hannah Taylor
Ann Taylor

Merry
17-12-14, 12:40
The burial of Joseph Taylor jr

To John Gardner, Grave maker
The 6th Day of the 2nd month 1803

Make a grave on or before next Fourth Day in Friends Burying Ground, at or near Whitechapple (sic) and therein lay the body of Joseph Taylor of Bishopsgate Street in the City of London Tallow Chandler aged about seventy-two years who died the second Day of the Second Month One thousand Eight Hundred and Three

Simon Bailey (signed)

The body above mentioned was buried the ninth Day of the Second Month 1803

Witness John Gardner (signed) Grave Maker.

He wrote a will signed 1799, exor was Simon Bailey, leaving all to his two daughters, Sarah Taylor and Susannah Owen Taylor.

Merry
17-12-14, 12:43
It looks as if Benjamin Taylor, b 1738 moved to Colchester, Essex as there's a burial there for Benjamin Taylor tallow chandler who died 4 June 1815 aged 77.