PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Renyard (OH's MMMMFF)

Merry
08-12-14, 11:42
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

Thomas Renyard

Date and place of birth

Abt 1765

Names of parents

Thomas Renyard and Mary X

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Baptism indistinct. Jun? 1765 at Beaulieu Abbey, Hampshire

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

18 Nov 1788 at Beaulieu Abbey, Hampshire to Sarah Beck

Occupation(s) - if any

Labourer

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

Probably Beaulieu Hampshire all his life.

Date, place and cause of death

6 Jun 1841 (he's not on the census for that night!) at Norley in the parish of Boldre, Hants. Cause of death, water on the chest. The informant was the coroner for Winchester.

Date and place of burial.

Not sure why I don't have this?

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

None found

Memorial inscription - if any

None found

Link to spouse

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=11611&highlight=sarah+beck

Link to 3xg

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=21103&highlight=sarah+beck

ElizabethHerts
08-12-14, 13:09
Here is the burial, Merry:

First name(s) THOMAS
Last name REYNARD
Age 76
Birth year 1765
Death year 1841
Death day 09
Death month Jun
Burial year 1841
Parish East Boldre
County Hampshire

Merry
08-12-14, 14:52
Oh thank you Elizabeth!

We always joked that Thomas was probably in his house on census night, but dead bodies were not included!

Actually, do we know what the protocol was in those days re the dec'd before burial? These days the coffin is kept at the funeral parlour/undertaker's, but I always imagine the coffin maker coming to the house and measuring up the body, then bringing the coffin to the house and the funeral starting from there a day or two later. Did people leave the coffin lid off so others could pay their respects? I've been to a lot of funerals, but most were pretty clinical affairs and I've never seen an open casket except in the chapel of rest.

Mum remembers her maiden great-aunt taking mum and mum's sister to view the dead body of their next door neighbour as a sort of afternoon treat when mum was aged about three. :rolleyes: