PDA

View Full Version : George Lanning

Phoenix
07-12-14, 09:13
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
George Lanning
Date and place of birth
Presumed 1770, Kington Magna, Dorset. No document has been found which gives his age
Names of parents
Thomas Lanning and Mary nee Lanning
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
11 November 1770 Kington Magna, Dorset
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
11 May 1795 at Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire to Jane Clement, when he is described as of the Dorset Militia
Occupation(s) - if any
Music smith
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Presumably Brook St Hampstead Road where his son was born c 1800. Children baptised in St Marylebone
Date, place and cause of death
Unknown
Date and place of burial.
Unkown
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Not found
Memorial inscription - if any
Unknown

Family tale was that his wife divorced in order to marry him. As she was a spinster, that is untrue. She remarried on 17 June 1821, so he vanished some time between (presumably!) the baptism of their youngest known child 31 March 1811 and her remarriage.

Merry
07-12-14, 09:33
Have you seen the ballot listing mentioned below in this fairly ancient post?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 04 January 1980 15:12
To: [email protected]
Subject: [DOR] Meaning of Posse Comitatus

Hi Listers,
Recently I received a partial list of the West Dorset Militia ballot
list for 1757 to 1799. There were some of my family name --LANNING-- on
the list especially from Kington Magna which was a LANNING stronghold
during that period!. After most of the names, there was the expression
"Posse Comitatus". Does anyone out there know what this means?

As an aside, it was interesting to note that they gave the occupation
and height of the individual -- but unfortunately not their age which
made specific identification a little difficult -- especially if you had
a common name like Thomas!

I would love to hear your suggestions.

Phoenix
07-12-14, 10:12
Thank you, Merry!

I hadn't picked up on the Rootsweb email - not, I think, quite so old as it appears! but I have used the militia lists. George clearly entered in a period for which those records do not survive.

George is mentioned, along with a dozen siblings, in his father's will, dated 9 March 1814. His brother Barnet lived in the Saffron Hill area of London.

Virtually all Lannings, where they can be traced, appear to come from Kington Magna. There are a lot of online trees, but they get confused and most ignore the evidence of the wills

catfordcrooner
07-12-14, 10:18
I wonder if he moved back to Kington Magna when he retired - there is a death there in 1850

Phoenix
07-12-14, 10:50
The burial on the 19th March 1850 is for an infant, unfortunately, Catford Crooner.

If we didn't have the family story, I'd assume that he had died and we simply couldn't find the burial. But the tale of divorce - in a family that patently would not have had the funds to obtain one pre 1858 - seems an odd way to explain a name change.