PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Grant Cotmore

Phoenix
06-12-14, 21:42
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Thomas Grant Cotmore
Date and place of birth
I have recorded this as 25 November 1770 Southwark, without the least indication as to how I arrived at this conclusion
Names of parents
John Cotmore and Ann Grant
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Possibly 25 Nov 1770, Southwark!
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
1) to Elizabeth Stopper (or more likely Stoper) 25 April 1791 at St Leonards Shoreditch after banns
I assume that she is the Elizabeth Cotmore buried on the 18th October 1791 aged 19 from Robin Hood's Court, Shoe Lane, St James Clerkenwell.
2) to Eleanor Woodend 27 December 1794 when he is described as a widower, at St Mary Islington
Occupation(s) - if any
Pen cutter. He was bound apprentice to Benjamin Lawrence, a pencutter belonging to the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers on 13 July 1790. He did not gain his freedom. (Possibly because of his marriage to Elizabeth!)

Although it was published in 1827, I feel that this must be the result of a conversation with Thomas, describing how he works: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AEoEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=cotmore+pencutter&source=bl&ots=3PSuBr-01t&sig=VvO3dAzs5SDeJ3QqUS1wA4DXoVY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=V3eDVNPbGcivU9Oag8AP&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=cotmore%20pencutter&f=false
I particulalry like the idea of the whole family wearing glasses to see what they were doing.

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
All his children were baptised before 1812. The two eldest were baptised in St Andrew's Holborn. They are on Pallot's index - I have not seen registers. Subsequently the family moves south of the river to Christchurch & then Southwark.
He appears to have spent his last years in Stangate Street.
Date, place and cause of death
24 September 1823 at the Waterman's Arms near Searle & Godfrey's Wharf.
Originally his death was reported as murder. He was found in the room of Sarah Holland by Joseph Holland, who cohabited with her. "In the confusion that ensued, he fell downstairs". The report went on to say that he left an amiable widow and five beautiful children. The eldest beautiful child was by this stage 27 years old.
Date and place of burial.
5 October 1823 at St Mary Lambeth
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
In view of his untimely death, no will.
Memorial inscription - if any
Highly unlikely

Phoenix
06-12-14, 21:59
Have found John William Cotmore s/o Thomas & ANN Cotmore of Robin Hood Court bp 27 November 1791.

Phoenix
06-12-14, 22:13
Ahha. The next two children are St Brides, and Dean St Fetter Lane.

Merry
07-12-14, 09:03
Ancestry - England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name: Tho Grant Cotmore
Birth Date: 25 Nov 1770
Baptism Date: 16 Dec 1770
Baptism Place: Saint Olave, Southwark, Surrey, England
Father: John Cotmore
Mother: Ann

FHL Film Number: 375309, 375310

Phoenix
07-12-14, 10:53
Thank you, Merry! I am definitely losing my marbles.