PDA

View Full Version : A tiny piece of information

Olde Crone
30-11-14, 22:35
..but thrilling to me!

I have a hobby tree, Owd Timothy o'th'Looms and although I add a bit of info now and then, the early research has come to a bit of a standstill.

Today, I found the burial of his hitherto-unknown son in 1725. Not as useless as it sounds because it tells me several things, including where Owd T was living in 1725 (not where everyone else says he was!) and that he was indeed only married once, AND that there were more children, which I had strongly suspected but hadn't been able to prove. So I am now sure about his life from 1725 to 1791. Just the first 25 years to go.....

Just goes to show, you do need to check regularly for new online information about things you didn't know you didn't know.

OC

Phoenix
30-11-14, 22:48
Wonderful!

I just want a program that says "you looked at this five years ago" or "pay attention this IS new" There is just so much out there that so many of my discoveries just aren't.

Olde Crone
30-11-14, 23:14
Oh, I've been there Phoenix, much more than once!

I find some thrilling new info, go off madly on an internet hunt, scrawling pages and pages of detailed notes, then go to enter it all on my tree....and there it already is.

OC

Merry
01-12-14, 06:06
That has happened to be too many times!!

OC - I don't know if you generally work from the Lancs OPC site for this part of your tree, but I did just notice that Owd Timothy's burial entry image is on Ancestry. The Lancs OPC transcript has the note ' Father of Edd. Dewhurst's wife and Mary?' but the image reads 'Father of Edd. Dewhursts wife and others'.

Olde Crone
01-12-14, 09:23
Oooh, haven't seen that, Merry, although I do have it from another source it's nice to see it "in the flesh" as it were.

OC

Kit
01-12-14, 10:26
Wonderful!

I just want a program that says "you looked at this five years ago" or "pay attention this IS new" There is just so much out there that so many of my discoveries just aren't.

Besides more access to information we haven't seen before I think this would be the most useful thing ever, for this hobby of ours.

Nell
03-12-14, 18:01
OC/Phoenix

Oh how often I find some "new" info to discover I've had it for years.

But it does pay off sometimes to recheck. I found a school admission for my grandmother Annie Matthews recently. Although it was recorded as Eliza Mathews - I'd actually searched for "Eliza" in error. I knew it was her because it had the right birthday and her father was given as John Garvie, who was her stepfather.