PDA

View Full Version : Mary & Mary Cousins & Charles Fowler

BlueSavannah
29-11-14, 14:20
Hi All,

Does anyone else have siblings in their trees that are both called the same name even though the first child with the name is still alive?

My great x 5 grandmother is Mary Cousins born 1806 in Sheffield to Matthew & Charlotte. When looking for siblings of Mary, there are a number including another Mary Cousins born in 1813. I have countless siblings in my tree where the parents have called younger ones the same name as older deceased ones, but this is the first time I have come across a sibling being called a name of a child who is still very much alive.

I was hoping that the 2nd Mary was a typo on familysearch but i've seen the image on FMP via their Yorkshire bishop transcripts and it does clearly say Mary.

I was really hoping the name might have been Margaret because I am trying to tie this Cousins line with another person named Cousins in my tree. My Mary (1806) married Thomas Hinchliffe and they had 4 children including my great x 4 grandmother Margaret Hinchliffe. Margaret Hinchliffe married Charles Fowler who was a widower. His first wife was Margaret Cousins! I keep thinking that this first wife was somehow related to Margaret Hinchliffe's mother Mary's family but I am not finding a connection at all. Of course it could be just a complete coincidence on the surname.

Charles Fowler married Margaret Cousins at Sheffield St Peter/Paul on the 13th December 1832. The witnesses names were almost unreadable. One looks like Mary Fowler but the other was impossible to read. Margaret Fowler nee Cousins died in 1844 and was buried on the 31st March 1844 at the same church. Her burial record stated she was aged 33.

He then married Margaret Hinchliffe on the 6th May 1844 at St Mary, Ecclesfield (didn't mourn Margaret number 1 for long :d)

If anyone can see any connection between the Cousins', I would really appreciate any help :)

kiterunner
29-11-14, 16:08
Hi All,

Does anyone else have siblings in their trees that are both called the same name even though the first child with the name is still alive?

My 2xg-uncle named a daughter Isabel in 1903 while his daughter Isabella (born 1876) was still alive. They had different mothers and Isabella was known by her middle name, Minnie.

Then there is Benjamin Dry who had two sons, one by each wife, both named Benjamin, born 1686 and 1690, and since he mentions both of them in his will, the first one was definitely still alive when the second one was named.

I can't think of any in my tree where the children are full siblings rather than half, but I do remember coming across an entry in a parish register that I was transcribing which mentioned that a second son had been given the same name as his elder brother due to a "mistake of the godfather".

kiterunner
29-11-14, 16:09
I was hoping that the 2nd Mary was a typo on familysearch but i've seen the image on FMP via their Yorkshire bishop transcripts and it does clearly say Mary.

It could be a mistake in the Bishop's Transcripts, though.

BlueSavannah
29-11-14, 16:48
Lol, I like the story of the 'mistake of the godfather' for a couple having 2 children named the same.

It could be mistake in the BTs too but I think it probably does say Mary.

kiterunner
29-11-14, 17:01
Would you be able to check the parish register entry?

Jill
29-11-14, 17:04
I have twins bapt with the same name in 1862, All Saints, Stamford, Lincs

"The two 'William' Garners are twins. One was to have been named 'George' this was not given by the sponsor until after he had been baptised 'William'. "

BlueSavannah
29-11-14, 17:59
I am unable to Kite, I don't live in Sheffield anymore and i've got a 1 year old and a 2 year old so travelling is a no-go for me at present :(

That's interesting Jill because it sounds like the story Kite told, ie, not the parents' fault the child was named the same as an earlier still living child. I wonder if my 2nd Mary was known as something else to her parents? Not that I can prove that either way.

kiterunner
29-11-14, 19:20
Do you know the names of Charles and Margaret's children, Claire? (Assuming they had any.) Any named Matthew or Charlotte?

BlueSavannah
29-11-14, 19:25
Charles Fowler and Margaret Cousins had 5 children:
Martha 1833
William 1835
Mary 1839-1839
Charles 1840
Henry 1842-1843

Sadly no Matthew or Charlotte :(

kiterunner
01-12-14, 10:26
I've just been looking for the baptism of a Margaret Bawker who appears in my OH's tree and eventually found her in the PR's, but the BT's had her down as John! So it is definitely possible that the BT's have been copied out wrong!

BlueSavannah
01-12-14, 20:50
Thats really interesting Kite. Familysearch also says Mary but would they have used the BTs or the actual PR?

kiterunner
01-12-14, 22:28
Thats really interesting Kite. Familysearch also says Mary but would they have used the BTs or the actual PR?

I have searched for the film numbers shown on the entry in FamilySearch's catalogue and they come up as Bishop's Transcripts.