PDA

View Full Version : That's what I call a helpful vicar!

Nell
29-11-14, 11:46
Tidying up the dozens of Dunts in my family tree, found a likely marriage for Jane Dunt to Robert Clark, but not sure it was right, so I was chuffed to find her burial entry in Cantley, the parish where she was born to tailor John Dunt & is wife Susanna:

"Jane Clark, wife of Robert Clark of Yarmouth (cooper) and daughter of John Dunt (taylor) [sic] of this parish".

Not just the names of the men in her life, but also their occupations to make it even more certain!

Sussex Maid
29-11-14, 13:43
There was an equally helpful vicar at Moreton in Essex between 1796-1812
Baptisms have the full parents names plus his own headings of 'father's name, descent and profession', 'mother's name and descent' and dob and the burials have his own headings of 'descent and profession' plus date of death, burial and cause of death.

marquette
29-11-14, 19:07
Some of my dissenters also have their grandparents named when their "baptism" registration or membership was recorded.

So helpful of the parish clerks.

ElizabethHerts
29-11-14, 19:44
I have transcriptions for Bletchingdon/Bletchington in Oxfordshire and in the 1600s the godparents were named, often with the relationship to the child - aunt, grandmother, uncle etc. It has really helped me establish relationships.

Nell
03-12-14, 18:11
How fantastic!

vita
05-12-14, 08:56
Some of my dissenters also have their grandparents named when their "baptism" registration or membership was recorded.

So helpful of the parish clerks.

I've got some of those too, so I was able to dismiss the info posted by others

giving the incorrect maiden name for 3xg grandmother. Convincing them took

some doing though - despite it being shown a plain as day.

Olde Crone
05-12-14, 17:44
Vita

LOL - I have one of those! Died aged 4. Her death is mentioned in the margin next to her baptism, as well as in the normal burial register. However, this information is not good enough for the 20 or so people who believe she is their 7 x GGM.

OC