PDA

View Full Version : Surname mis-transcription!

ElizabethHerts
18-11-14, 19:00
I have found potential ancestors in Dartmouth, Devon, and luckily the PRs are on FMP.

I couldn't find the marriage of my man William Jackman before 1612 but then found a Boyd's Marriage. I wondered why it wasn't showing up on the search.
I put just the year in and got the relevant page and found the marriage at the bottom of the page. The name is pretty clear to me:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdev%2f005844059%2f00146&parentid=gbprs%2fdev%2fmar%2f61684%2f2

however FMP have it transcribed as "William Fartman"!:D

Perhaps they need lessons in old handwriting!

kiterunner
18-11-14, 19:05
Can you put in corrections on FMP like you can on ancestry, Elizabeth?

ElizabethHerts
18-11-14, 19:06
I have just done two, Kate. There is another one just above - Thomas Jackman.

They are meant to get back to you within 90 days, but I haven't heard a peep out of them since the new site was launched. They used to get back to you almost immediately.

Phoenix
18-11-14, 21:23
That's a shame, Elizabeth. They used to be brilliant at responding.

vita
19-11-14, 10:06
I have found potential ancestors in Dartmouth, Devon, and luckily the PRs are on FMP.

I couldn't find the marriage of my man William Jackman before 1612 but then found a Boyd's Marriage. I wondered why it wasn't showing up on the search.
I put just the year in and got the relevant page and found the marriage at the bottom of the page. The name is pretty clear to me:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdev%2f005844059%2f00146&parentid=gbprs%2fdev%2fmar%2f61684%2f2

however FMP have it transcribed as "William Fartman"!:D

Perhaps they need lessons in old handwriting!

.....or perhaps his reputation had gone before him! (Sorry, Elizabeth - just

couldn't resist that!)

ElizabethHerts
19-11-14, 10:46
Well, you never know....

Uncle John
01-01-15, 21:53
A bit late on the thread, but I got stuck on an ancestor's death because the GRO had transcribed the surname Lydiard as SYDIARD. Since the name also crops up in censuses with the y and i transposed, I hadn't looked for such an odd mistake. And there's no way to get either the GRO or FreeBMD to change it. A postem on FreeBMD and a note on Ancestry was the best I could do. The local RO could only provide a typed certificate because the register was too fragile to copy.

Nell
11-01-15, 10:21
Sounds like a lot of hot air to me!!!!

And in my experience, all kinds of errors can be made in transcriptions. I've found my Smoothys as Lenorthey (so S and L are often confused) my Purveys as Curveys - the Victorian obsession with flourishy capitals instead of plain blocks means that the loops are often mistaken as part of a letter. But my all-time example of how any letter can be misread is a family of Stevens mistranscribed as Howard - not a single letter right. When I looked at the image, it could have said anything.

I also recently found my grandmother as victim of a typo, in a marriage index as Kgladys instead of Gladys.

So you do need to keep on your toes!

Olde Crone
11-01-15, 10:57
And all those boys called Geroge! Anyone ever met one?

OC

tenterfieldjulie
11-01-15, 12:12
Today looking for Alfred found him transcribed as Aflred ...
Some bell is ringing wasn't there a king called Aflred!!

kiterunner
11-01-15, 12:59
Today looking for Alfred found him transcribed as Aflred ...

Ethelred?

tenterfieldjulie
12-01-15, 11:15
Thanks Kate .. I knew I'd have to be confused..

Uncle John
17-01-15, 20:37

Ethelred or Aethelred perhaps - but you're phonetically there in a Kiwi accent.