PDA

View Full Version : John Ames and Mary Bourne

Merry
17-11-14, 17:45
Can anyone find anything more about this couple (in bold)? They had a batch of children bap at Armitage, Staffs from 1682-1699. I'm hoping they are my 7xg-grandparents.......

Hansacre & Armitage. Messuage and Broad Hay, Cockshutt Close, Cow leasow, Thartley,...

Sample image

This record is held by Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service: Lichfield Record Office

See contact details

Reference: DW1851/8/36

Description:

Hansacre & Armitage. Messuage and Broad Hay, Cockshutt Close, Cow leasow, Thartley, Rough Leasow, Broad Meadow, Barrow land, Westfield, Welfurlong, Millfield.

Feoffment (Agard/Ames) 1649.

Copy marriage settlement of John Ames and Mary Bourne. 1680.

Hansacre & Armitage. Part of above lands. Mortgage (Ames/Dickenson) 1714.

Hansacre & Armitage. ½ of above lands.

Mortgage and 2 assignments (Ames/Lander/Ashenhurst/Herne) 1715-23.

Hansacre & Armitage. Land as in 1715 also ½ acre, messuage in Elmhurst, 1/3th part of land in Astley Meadow, Rugeley.

Recovery and deed to make tenant to pracecipe (Ames/Robinson). 1715.

Date: 1649-1723

Held by: Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service: Lichfield Record Office, not available at The National Archives

Language: English

kiterunner
17-11-14, 18:42
Staffordshire Marriage Allegations and Bonds are due to be digitised by Findmypast but don't seem to be on there yet. And Armitage parish doesn't seem to be included in the Staffordshire parish registers on FMP. Hopefully they will be in phase 2?

kiterunner
17-11-14, 18:44
There is this - maybe John Ames' father? But again you would need to get a copy.

Reference: 4817/22/14
Description: Copy of inventory of John Ames, Armitage.
Date: 1683
Held by: Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service: Staffordshire County Record Office, not available at The National Archives

kiterunner
17-11-14, 18:50
There is a John Ames, son of Thomas, christened 23 Mar 1665 at Armitage but probably too young to be your John.

kiterunner
17-11-14, 18:58
Just remembered that Staffordshire Archives have their own Lichfield Wills Index and you can order photocopies of the wills and inventories from them (Cost £5.50 per will etc). There is an entry for the John Ames who died 1683. Also a John Ames of Armitage 1710, who could be the one you're after. And an Alice Ames, widow, of Armitage, also 1710.
http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/StartPage.aspx?Mode=Details&Index=C

Merry
17-11-14, 20:05
Thanks Kate - I have those wills on my list, but didn't know that fmp are lining themselves to be helpful, so thanks for that. Roll on phase 2 etc!

I agree that John Ames bap 1665 is too late :o