PDA

View Full Version : Help with reading PCC will please

Merry
17-11-14, 09:30
Could someone with an ancestry sub have a look at this will:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/5111/40611_310659-00949/792753?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk% 2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dcanturburyprerogativecourt%26 so%3d2%26pcat%3dROOT_CATEGORY%26MS_AdvCB%3d1%26ran k%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d2%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-g%26gsfn%3dthomas%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln%3dsmith%26g sln_x%3dXO%26gskw%3dburford%26gskw_x%3d1%26cpxt%3d 1%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3d672%26cp%3d11&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

I am fine with the second page, but the first page is quite dark.

There's quite a lot on the first page I can't read, but only two bits I think are important:

Five lined from the bottom there's a mention of William Lenthall Esq but I can't read the bit before that to see why he is mentioned/who he is, or whatever.

On the last line I need confirmation of the name of the three Smith sons. First one is Andrew and the third one is Richard. Is the middle one Robert?

Phoenix
17-11-14, 09:39
bought by me of....

and yes it is Robert

Merry
17-11-14, 09:44
Thanks Phoenix :)

ElizabethHerts
17-11-14, 14:07
This is most of the first page. I need to go back and review some of the bits I found difficult the first time!

In the Name of God Amen I Thomas
Smith of Burforde in the Countie of Oxon Inholder the nyne and twentieth day
of September in the Ninteenth yeare of the Reigne of our Sovereign
by the grace of God of England Scotland France and Ireland
the faith and in Anno domini nostri Jesus Christi Milleā€™mo Sepcentesimo quadra-
gesimo tertio do make this my last Will and Testament in manner and forme
following Inprimis I give my soule into the handes of Almightie God my bodeie to
be buried according to the discretion of my Sonn Richard hereafter named for and
concernenig all and everie my landes tenements and hereditaments goods and chattells
wherewithal by the gi?ft? of God I am inde?ed or possessed withall I give and bequeath
the same in manner and forme following: Inprimis of the same to everie of my daughters
and form now /ed and whoe /reto by this my will following not part of any
of my landes tenements or hereditaments to and? / the summe of five pounds a peice
of lawfull money of England Item I give unto my wife Alice my house landes
tenements and hereditaments ? bought by me of William Lenthal Esquire
with all and everie the Appurtenances thereunto belonging for and during her
naturall life / of / and after her decease I give? and
bequeath all and everie the said houses landes tenements hereditaments what
soever unto my sonns Andrew Smith, Robert Smith and Richard Smith and to
their heires

Merry
17-11-14, 16:41
Thanks you so much Elizabeth. I did have a few words missing!

What a pity he didn't name his daughters so I could know which ones reached adulthood.

Phoenix
17-11-14, 17:17
Interesting that he says "daughters and sonnes now unmarried" - he had obviously set the others up. I do hope he was on the point of death when he wrote it.

Merry
17-11-14, 17:41
He signed the will on 29th Sept and was buried 2nd Oct Phoenix!

I am bothered that the son he made executor seems to have been his youngest who was only a child. I've tried to see how Richard can be someone else, but haven't managed it yet!

The probate does say something about him being a minor (I think) but sadly I used to do my needlework homework in Latin lessons in school..........

Phoenix
17-11-14, 17:51
It looks as if Alice is acting during Richard's minority (my Latin equally rusty!)

Perhaps he made the youngest son titular executor to avoid an elder sibling strong-arming him out of his inheritance?

kiterunner
17-11-14, 18:14
I have seen a (very old) will where a four or five year old child was named as executor, so it is possible.

Merry
17-11-14, 20:07
Richard was about seven or eight!

I feel better about him now!! Thanks.