PDA

View Full Version : Henry Sloman/Slowman's wife

tenterfieldjulie
16-11-14, 09:03
:DWith great delight On Find My Past I found the following records which were very informative and gave my ancestors a mother’s name.

(When the 7 children of Henry Sloman were baptised at Tiverton Cove – Henry 1688, Richard 1690, John 1694, Samuel 1697, Mary 1700-1704, James 1702, Mary 1705 .. their mother was not named. Tiverton Cove is and was a very small hamlet closer to Bampton than Tiverton and there are not many entries in the death register.)

Henry died 1716 as below and then in 1718 (not 1717) Rebecca has been named as wife of Henry Slowman and then wife crossed out (as he was deceased).

Help please ..
Can anyone read what the word is written above Rebecca’s burial entry?
Rebecca also has an admon, the source is FRYA .. Did these records survive, or are they part of the ones that were bombed?
I scrolled through the marriages at Tiverton and could not find it. Can anyone find it?
Many thanks. Julie

References FMP:

Henry Sloman
Buried 30 Jun 1716, Tiverton Cove, St. John the Baptist, Devon
Archive reference 1400A/PR/1/1

Rebecca Slowman
Buried 23 Mar 1717, Tiverton Cove, St John the Baptist, Devon
Archive reference 1400A/PR/1/1

Rebecca Slowman
Probate year 1718
Court (Episcopal) Principle Registry of (the Bishop of) Exeter
Source FRYA
Document form List Entry
Document type Administration
Reference code 16495/252025
Record set Devon Wills Index, 1163-1999

kiterunner
16-11-14, 09:46
The word written in to replace "wife" on Rebecca's burial is "Relique", same as for Christian a few lines above. It must be a variant on "relict" which was another word for widow.

The Devon Wills Project is explained on here:
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonWillsProject/index.html

According to the information on there, if there is only a "list entry" (le in their own listing) then the original documents have probably not survived.

tenterfieldjulie
16-11-14, 09:51
Thanks Kate. Pleased to make sure that she is Henry Sen's wife not the son's. I thought that was probably the case with the will, but was hoping not. There was an early will for Henrye who was probably the Henry died 1716's grandfather, but it must have gone up in smoke too .. ah well we won the war ... or we wouldn't be looking at all.