PDA

View Full Version : Finding an 1870 will.

HarrysMum
29-11-09, 04:23
I want to know if Daniel Hart who died in 1870 in Bolton left a will, and if so, to get a copy.

Can I do that from Australia??? Would I need his exact date of death??

Merry
29-11-09, 08:52
First you smile sweetly at KiteRunner and she then goes to the Nottingham Archives and looks at the probate calendar to see if he left a will. If he did then it's a case of sending a letter and £5 to get the will copy (details you nead are just those from the probate calendar). You can just sendoff withough checking first, but then if he didn't have a wll you waste your money!

Didn't I get one for Mary Bompiani for you and you sent me te money by PayPal, as it worked out less that way? (Or did I dream that?)

HarrysMum
29-11-09, 09:40
Merry..........you did all that for me. I just have no idea HOW you did it.........lol

So is Nottingham the local place for the area Daniel died ??? Or is that the place the calender is kept???

kiterunner
29-11-09, 10:47
There are copies of the National Probate Calendar at lots of record offices and probate registries but it just so happens that I live near the Nottinghamshire Archives so I often go and do lookups there. You can order a will plus search without looking it up in the National Probate Calendar, but then you still have to pay the £5 even if they don't find anything. Also if you're in a hurry to find out whether there is a will or not, you can look on the Index to Death Duties Register which is on findmypast and see if there is an entry for him. But if you don't mind waiting till I get the chance to go to the record office, I will certainly have a look.

HarrysMum
29-11-09, 19:12
Thank you. I'm not in a hurry.

Do you need any other details????
I am going to order the death cert, but FreeBMD only has one other Daniel Hart around the right time and that's is for a baby.

It could have been money from either of Ann's parents or even her sister. Don't know if they died as there are some entries. They are all Dickinsons.

I'm just interested in how Ann paid for her passage here, with Alice.

kiterunner
29-11-09, 19:17
I think Daniel Hart, Bolton, 1870 will be enough.

HarrysMum
29-11-09, 19:51
Thanks.

kiterunner
01-12-09, 13:38
I checked from 1870 to 1874 and there was no entry for him.

HarrysMum
01-12-09, 17:37
Thank you...........